Saving Daylight Savings Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saving Daylight Savings Time

Ben Carawan, News Editor

On Sunday, March 11th, the United States of America “sprung forward” as it was Daylight Savings Time (DST). Every state (except for Arizona and Hawaii) observed this day this year, but one state may join the two exempt states and make DST permanent and keep DST time year-round. Called the Sunshine Protection Act and Sunshine State Act, the state of Florida is trying to pass two different bills. The first bill introduced is intended to make DST permanent for all states, and potentially territories, across the country. The second one can allow only the state of Florida as a whole to observe DST year-round.

Senator Marco Rubio is supporting Florida’s efforts to keep Daylight Savings Time in effect permanently. Florida’s House and Senate each passed a bill that would cause DST to stay in the state year round. The Senate bill is SB 858 and the House bill is HB 1013. The Sunshine Protection Act is scheduled to take effect on July 1, 2018 (if the bill(s) are passed and federal law is changed). A quote from the Senate Bill informs that “Florida should be kept sunny year-round.”

The Senate bill is also trying to get the panhandle (Tallahassee area and west) of Florida moved into the Eastern Time Zone, as it is in the Central Time Zone at the moment. Other US territories and commonwealths that do not observe DST include Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Guam and the USVI.

The Uniform Time Act (1966) is what set specific times, made DST a seamless event, and made the time change at 2 a.m. local time. Some parties claim that it could be costly to program Floridian electronic devices to be exempt the time observances, but others say that it could benefit the economy. According to the Department of Transportation’s website, DST primarily helps to save energy, prevents traffic injuries, and reduces crime.

Ben Carawan, News Editor

This Ben's second year as a member of the Falcon News Feed. He is a member of an ever-decreasing population of people who have of lived in Cary their whole...