Trump Trumps North Korea

Official White House Photo \ Joyce N. Boghosian

Bradley Stewart and Noa Lawrence

North Korea is oppressive.  That’s not opinion, that’s a fact.  Yet, every presidential administration since the 1960s has avoided significantly challenging the regime that tortures millions and, more recently, meeting with the dictator and resolving nuclear tensions between the two countries.  That changed yesterday. After a meeting with South Korean officials, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has reached out to Donald Trump and the two have agreed to meet in the coming months to discuss North Korea’s nuclear program.

This is a big win for Trump, as many have questioned his foreign policy regarding Un.  According to Trump, “Kim Jong Un talked about denuclearization with the South Korea Representatives, not just a freeze.”  The President continued to explain that there would be no nuclear testing by North Korea until the meeting. Despite this promise, Trump has kept his hardball attitude, declaring that the sanctions on North Korea will “remain until an agreement is made.”  

The South Korean National Security Director, Chung Eui-Yung, Un expressed an “eagerness to meet [with] President Trump as soon as possible.”  All countries involved, North Korea, South Korea, and the United States, are committed to a diplomatic process. This is a complete 180, as just last year Trump and Un had harshly gone back-and-forth regarding the nuclear tensions between the two countries.  Last August, Trump promised to bring “fire and fury” to North Korea if the United States was threatened by the regime. Obviously, these relations have cooled and the threat of nuclear war seems to have lessened, for now.

The location and date of the meeting have yet to be set, but both countries are excited about the potential that the meeting holds.  The last time the United States and North Korea had talks, six countries were involved – the United States, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Russia, and China.  The meeting ended when North Korea walked out. Will diplomatic relations in nine years later, meet the same fate? Hopefully not. But, at least, for now, the threat of nuclear war has been put on pause.