How the Time’s Up Movement is Changing Hollywood

Back to Article
Back to Article

The letter from 300 women in Hollywood published in the New York Times, announcing the Time's Up movement on January 1st, 2018.

Time Magazine

Time Magazine

Time Magazine

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

The Time’s Up Movement, announced on January 1st, 2018, is a movement that vows to fight sexual harassment in Hollywood and workplaces around the nation. In response to the many Weinstein allegations since October 2017, the movement has since raised $20 million. With no singular leader, Time’s Up is pushing for legislation to stop sexual violence and discrimination.

Time’s Up encouraged women to wear black to the Golden Globes on January 7th, 2018, to raise awareness of gender and racial inequality. Many people, men and women alike, showed their support for the cause. Since then, many more women have stepped forward and spoken out about their personal experiences facing sexual harassment in the workplace.

Time’s Up members include Ashley Judd, America Ferrera, Rashida Jones, Emma Stone, Kerry Washington, and Reese Witherspoon. The movement’s GoFundMe page has received many donations for the cause, from celebrities like Shonda Rhimes, Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Aniston, Steven Spielberg, and Meryl Streep. Junior Makeila Cox said, “With all these women speaking out and advocating for change, I believe that change is possible.”

So how is this movement changing Hollywood?

Women in Hollywood are now saying that doors are opening for them, with many agents and studios fighting to sign female-driven ventures and proposals. Female writers, directors, and actresses are now desired more in the industry than males. According to the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film at San Diego State University, women represented 8% of directors, 10% of writers, 2% of cinematographers, 24% of producers, and 14% of editors of the top 100 grossing films of 2017. Involving more women in the entertainment industry are likely to be incorporated into Hollywood and alter these statistics.

Many say that the solution to Hollywood’s problem with sexism is simply to hire more women to be involved in crews, writers, and directors. This will promote gender parity and ultimately lead to a more diverse Hollywood. Leah Meyerhoff, the founder of Film Fatales, a support group for female directors, said, “Clearly when a majority of people in power are these able-bodied straight white men, a side effect is sexual harassment on set and in the world.”

Is this change ephemeral though? Yes, these changes are happening now and the Time’s Up movement is helping put them in effect, but the question is whether it’ll last. If it doesn’t, what does it mean for the many women outside Hollywood who are experiencing sexual harassment? The entertainment industry will not change overnight. With more and more people speaking out about inequality and harassment, their voices are being heard and already we are seeing the effects.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross...