This Weekend at the Box Office

Back to Article
Back to Article

This Weekend at the Box Office

Alex Price, Staff Writer

For the third week in a row, Black Panther led the box office, making over $65.5 million on the weekend. After last weekend, the total domestic draw of Black Panther now being just over $500 million, and the worldwide draw is now almost $900 million. Black Panther’s continued reign on the top of the box office is somewhat surprising, given the release of two major films that could’ve taken its place. Those movies are Red Sparrow and Death Wish. They took rank two and three at the box office respectively.

Jennifer Lawrence’s newest hit, Red Sparrow, made $17 million last weekend. Outside of the X-Men and Hunger Games movies, Red Sparrow had the second most successful opening weekend out of any Jennifer Lawrence movie, and it has almost made more than her last movie, mother!, made in total. Death Wish is Bruce Willis’s first movie in three years and had his most successful opening weekend in five years. Death Wish is a remake of the five-movie series that spanned from the ‘70s to the ‘90s. Two other movies released last weekend but were not nearly as successful.

This weekend last year, Logan, The Shack, and Before I Fall all made their debut at the box office. Logan took the top spot, making over $88 million that weekend. Due to this and Get Out, which made almost $30 million, the total box office draw was $189,697,727. This year, the weekend made a little less, $146,970,413. This isn’t a trend likely to stick because Logan made a sharp 56% decline the next weekend.

Four big new movies are hitting the box office this weekend, and they appeal to a variety of audiences. Gringo is an adult comedy about the struggle of a businessman who finds himself on the wrong side of the law. It stars David Oyelowo, Charlize Theron, and Joel Edgerton. The Hurricane Heist is an action thriller about thieves that try to hit the jackpot as a Category 5 hurricane approaches. It stars Maggie Grace, Toby Kebbell, and Ryan Kwanten. The Strangers: Prey at Night is a  sequel to the 2008 horror movie, The Strangers, and is about a family in a mobile home that is stalked by three masked intruders. It stars Christina Hendricks, Bailee Madison, and Martin Henderson. The fourth movie is A Wrinkle in Time, a movie based on a children’s novel, is about a young girl searching for her missing father. It stars Oprah Winfrey, Storm Reid, and Reese Witherspoon.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and...