What’s That Smell?

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

If you’ve recently walked outside, you have probably wafted in a smell that isn’t very pleasant. But where is it coming from?

No, it’s not a gas leak or your neighbor’s stinky dogs. It is the smell of the blossoming of the Callery Pear Tree, also known as the Bradford Pear Tree, which are the white fluffy trees that are blooming everywhere. Their smell is quite commonly associated with the smell of dead fish or a smelly dog.

These trees are native to China and Vietnam but came here to North Carolina because they started being used in American cities in the 1950s for landscaping purposes.

Despite their horrid stench, they are still pleasing to look at, which is why they will not be removed from our scenery anytime soon.

The smell only comes around once in the spring when the trees bloom, so it isn’t too long of a time where the air smells funky.

In the meantime, enjoy the beauty of the snowfall-mimicking trees throughout the area.

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor
Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This...
1 Comment

One Response to “What’s That Smell?”

1. Alexander on March 23rd, 2018 12:31 pm

These are an invasive species. And I personally find it offensive that you are endorsing its beauty when it should gotten rid of since it is detrimental to the environment and it is a nuisance to the students and the residents. Please, think about what I said and consider getting rid of them.

Let your voice be heard.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• What’s That Smell?

Planet 9

• What’s That Smell?

The Arctic’s Oldest and Thickest Sea Ice Breaks For the First Time

• What’s That Smell?

Mac Miller Found Dead

• What’s That Smell?

The SAT Scandal

• What’s That Smell?

Three Dead, Ten Injured After Shooting at a Jacksonville Madden Tournament

What’s That Smell?