Ian Delgado: Man, Myth, Legend

Ian Delgado with his awards.

Ian Delgado with his awards.

Peter Eastwood

Peter Eastwood

Ian Delgado with his awards.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

On Saturday, the 10th of February, the Green Hope Men’s Track Team traveled to JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem to compete in the NCHSAA 4A Indoor Track & Field State Championships. This team was composed of mostly distance runners, including senior Ian Delgado. Delgado was set to run in 3 events at States, the 4×800 relay, the 1000 meter run, and the 4×400 relay.

The senior has had many big time performances throughout his career at Green Hope including 3 All-American races at New Balance Nationals, participating in Nike Cross Country Nationals, and a third place finish in the 4×800 relay at Penn Relays in 2016. With four state championships on the line Saturday night, this meet could become one of his best ever.

The night started with the 4×800 relay for the Green Hope team. Delgado was set to run the anchor in the event, hopefully bringing home his first state championship of the night. The three legs before his gave him just what he wanted, he had a substantial lead over Cary and knew he could coast to the finish. Delgado said, “It was nice to execute what my teammates and I had worked for all year. I was happy that my teammates put me in a good position to win.” This was a great first step for Delgado as he got his first state championship of the night, with a possibility of three more.

The next event the senior runner would participate in was the 1000m run. NCRunners said the biggest threats to Delgado were his two teammates Sean Petersen and Matthew Kehn. Ian cruised to an easy first place finish, winning by about 3 seconds over second place finisher Colin Alexander. His time was a 2:30.97, the third fastest time in school history, only behind two of his own. The senior said, “I was extremely happy to win since it had been my goal all year after I was tripped in the same race last year.”

The last event for Delgado was the 4x400m relay. The team for the Falcons consisted mostly of distance runners Sean Petersen, Mike Biddle, Ian Delgado, and a sprinter Chris Mondie. Green Hope was going up against teams of all sprinters. The relay team ended up behind two seconds as Delgado got the baton to start his anchor leg. He was able to catch both opponents and win in a somewhat comfortable fashion. That was the icing on the cake for an amazing night for the senior.

Green Hope won the team title and that was the fourth state championship for Delgado. Along with his state championships, the senior also won the Sportsmanship Award. Delgado said, “That was probably one of the best nights of my life because everything came together on the same day. This senior class put on a performance that will be remembered forever.” Delgado and the Green Hope Track Team are now focused on New Balance Indoor Nationals and Outdoor Track season. The team is hoping to win another team title later this spring. Go Green Hope!

Brandon Morton, Staff Writer
Brandon Morton is a first time writer this year for Falcon News Feed. He believes that he is a semi-professional water polo player. His favorite hobby outside of sports is to take long walks on the beach with his dog in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Brandon’s favorite dish is grilled ham and cheese...