Green Hope Walks Out

The crowd gathered on the football field in protest of gun violence in schools.

Falcon News Feed Staff

Falcon News Feed Staff

Ideliya Khismatova and Coral Aman

On February 28, 2018, over 2,000 Green Hope High School students came together to walk out in support of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students and gun reform. At 12:00 p.m., students made their way out to the front of the school and walked down to the stadium. Green Hope students wore maroon to honor Douglas High School as well as orange stickers to stand against gun violence, and many students made signs to show their support.

While some students chose to stay in class, the majority of the school participated in the walkout.

The Sophomore and Freshman class presidents reflected on the walk out.

“I’ve never been prouder of our student body than during this walkout.” Raina Lee, Sophomore class president.

“When I saw that huge crowd out there, I honestly felt like I was dreaming. It proved how dedicated Green Hope is to change.” Megan Mou, Freshman class president.

Speakers included:

Megan Mou, Freshman Class President

Megan Sharma and Deb Bhattacharya, former Stoneman Douglas High School and current Green Hope High School students

Erin McIndoe, Junior Falcon News Feed staff member

Morrisville Town Council Member Steve Rao

NC Senator Jay Chaudhuri

Shea Kofkin-Hansen, Junior Falcon News Feed staff member, read a letter of support from Governor Roy Cooper

Reagan Dovel, Senior, writer of an opinion piece published in the News and Observer, read a letter of support from US Representative David Price

Mayor TJ Cawley of Morrisville

Raina Lee, Sophomore Class President

The event organizers hope to affect change and keep up the momentum garnered in the walkout.

About the Writers
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.