Is the Bell too Loud?

Bilal Azzam, Staff Writer

The bell. Arguably one of the more important building accessories in a school. Its functions range from letting people know when to turn in their tests to waking up people who have a lot of catch up work to do. Hearing this ringing several times a day makes a student accustomed to the horrid shrill sound. However, is the Green Hope High School bell to loud? It’s hard to say, because students who have been attending the school for several years have been able to get used it.

The best way to answer this question is by asking underclassmen. Underclassmen are still quite new to high school, and their innocent minds can still remember the happy middle school days and the soft, subtle bells. Both a sophomore and a freshman were asked about their thoughts on the bell. Dhananjay Raghu, a sophomore, believes that the bell isn’t too loud. When Dhananjay was asked if the bell was too loud, he said “I don’t think it’s loud enough because sometimes I fall asleep and it doesn’t wake me up.”

Although some believe that the bell may not be loud enough, many think otherwise. People who are usually awake and are following with the teacher don’t need a loud reminder to tell them to get to their next class. Freshman Evan Speelman says “The bell is just loud enough as it is…”

Clearly, there are many different thoughts about the sound of the bell. At the end of that day, it all depends on the person. Bells can be important to different people in different ways. If you want the bell to wake you up, then you probably think it should be louder. However, if it’s just a reminder to get to your next class, then you most likely lean towards the argument that the bell is too loud.