Winter Olympics Comes to an End

Fireworks during the 2018 Winter Olympics closing ceremony in PyeongChang, South Korea.

Chang W. Lee / The New York Times

Chang W. Lee / The New York Times

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

The 23rd Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea ended on Sunday, February 25th in the PyeongChang Olympic Stadium, with 35,000 spectators watching the closing ceremony. Featuring both traditional and modern Korean music and dance, fireworks, and ending with a dance party that many athletes participated in, the closing ceremony was a sure success. The customary raising of the Greek flag, the lowering of the Olympic flag, and the Beijing (host of the 2022 Olympic Games) flag handover was done before the Olympic flame was extinguished, officially ending the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Norway dominated this year’s Olympics, winning a total of 39 medals, 14 of them gold. Germany came in second with 31 total medals, Canada in third with 29, with Team USA finishing in fourth with 23.

This year’s Olympics had many record-breaking performances. Nathan Chen and Mirai Nagasu, gold medal favorites, both made history with their respective six quadruple jumps and triple axel spin. For the first time in 20 years, the U.S. women’s ice hockey team beat Canada for gold. Shaun White, Chloe Kim, and Red Gerard, (Kim and Gerard being only 17 years old), all made epic gold medal wins as well. The U.S. men’s curling team won Team USA’s first gold medal in the event. Sophomore Miranda Tran said she “felt inspired by Kim’s snowboarding performance,” seeing how she is so young.

Even though this was the worst finish for Team USA since the 1998 Winter Olympics (in Nagano, Japan, with 13 medals), the athletes worked hard and made our country proud. The U.S. Olympic Committee’s chief of sport performance, Alan Ashley, told the Associated Press that in the end, “the commitment level and intensity of the athletes, you can’t ask for more than that.”