Junior Year

Erin McIndoe, Staff Writer

It is an undisputed fact of high school that junior year is the most stressful of all four years, from AP classes and SATs/ACTs to endless amounts of extracurriculars to fill up your college resumes.  High school in general provides a lot of stress for most people, but adding in all of these variables makes this many students’ hardest year of high school. It is important to remember that although you are stressed to the max, life will go on- it is all about perspective.

Perspective is defined as “a particular attitude towards or regarding something; a point of view.”  Many students lack the ability to find a new perspective on junior year.  During junior year, it feels as if every week is another week that one survived the stress and anxiety felt constantly by students.  To make matters worse, weekends are not regularly filled with fun activities, but rather SAT prep and hours spent at a library or desk, slowly but surely making your way through the bottomless pit that is also known as homework.  

School can be hard, but look at it like this: students are working their tails off for a whole year so that they can look good for colleges.  It is a well-known fact that colleges are now expecting someone whom they believe has the ability to change their campus and make a difference.  For this reason, do not spend all of your junior year doing homework or studying, because having a high school experience and sleep is just as important.  According to College Board, colleges are looking for characteristics like leadership, initiative, and commitment to service as well.  

It is important to remember that grades are only one part of the high school legacy.  After four years, students leave this school with memories of all the fun experiences they had while at Green Hope, and not those of all-nighters and test anxiety.  By creating memories that are not just filled with grades and scores, they are establishing a lasting legacy at the school.  The relationships students make while at this school will never fade.  Getting to know teachers is one of the best ways to leave a footprint at the school, because even though students leave after four years,  many of the teachers do not.  Getting to know the school’s staff is a perfect way to make sure students leave a mark.  

As a junior myself, I often forget that the year is about more than just making good grades and getting into college.  As I said earlier, it is all about the proper perspective.  Know that right now, students at Green Hope might be complaining about all their work, but many other students do not have the luxury of having such and academically and athletically achieving school.  Students should simply be thankful that they are here and able to learn.  We are all stressed and anxious, but always know that the stress will eventually pass, and the sun will come up the next morning no matter what you got on that Calculus or APES test.  This is a gentle reminder: if it won’t matter in five years, don’t spend more than five minutes worrying about it.