A New Captioning System

A USL Closed Captioning System

QSC

A USL Closed Captioning System

Ideliya Khismatova, Staff Writer

In the early 1900s, when silent movies were widely popular, everyone could enjoy movies equally – those who can hear and those who can’t. But today, many movie theaters do not provide open captioning, a type of captioning where the words are at the bottom of the main screen, limiting many of those who are deaf from enjoying movies.

An often overlooked problem, movie theaters don’t always take into consideration the entire audience that will be viewing the movie – rather the majority. Even if they do consider others, accommodations can be expensive.

The most recent debate has stemmed from the issue with closed captioning.

The USL closed captioning system, the name of a certain device that shows captions from a pop-out screen from the movie seat, is shown on a small screen separate from the main screen. It provides an individual view of the captions for only the person who needs them.

Although this sounds convenient, many people from the deaf community have been complaining about the closed captioning system because it interferes with the viewing process, as opposed to open captioning, which is simply regular captioning that is visible on the main screen to everyone.

A girl named Ina voiced her opinion on Twitter. “[Closed captions] are the actual worst and do nothing to help me. They skip lines, cause me to miss important scenes because of having to switch looking at this and the screen.”

Nyle DiMarco, a deaf artist, also spoke on this issue: “10 minutes into Black Panther, I had to leave. It was awful. Kept skipping lines. The difference of focus while switching gave me a headache. And I kept missing important scenes.”

The closed captioning system is a nuisance to many people with hearing disabilities, and they wish to be able to enjoy the movie just like everyone else.

In the Cary community, everyone should be included. The movie theaters at Park West, Beaver Creek, and others should implement open captioning to all of their movies.

Currently, AMC Theaters at Southpoint Mall in Durham offers accommodations for certain people, so be sure to give them a try.