Parkland, Florida is Closer than it Seems

On February 14, 2018 17 students were killed at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Alex Price, Staff Writer

One week after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida rocked the world and set off a nationwide wave of teenage protest, the community is still recovering. The last critically injured person is now getting better. Though the injured might be physically recovering, the scars on their heart, minds, and memory won’t heal so easily. They will forever have February 14th, 2018 etched into their psyche. But as time goes on, it’s important not to forget the victims of the shooting and the people who will now have to go to a school that will never look the same again.  Efforts to raise money to take down the freshman building, the location of the shooting, are ongoing. The school and community want to build a memorial for the victims.

This effort to comfort the students is admirable but there is no comfort for students who were shot or lost their friends. And while Parkland is nearly 800 miles away, they have much in common.

In order to better understand how this affected the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, sophomore Kayla Enoch, who grew up in Parkland and knows many of the students tells her heartwrenching story.

Can you describe the Parkland area?

It was a very wealthy suburb, everyone was very privileged. There were gated communities and people got what they wanted.

What was your initial reaction to the shooting?

I was scared for my friends. I was freaking out.

Did you know the shooter?

No, I didn’t.

Did you know any of the injured students?

Yes, a friend of mine was shot in the leg. She woke up in the hospital the next day. She was unconscious through the night and her parents thought she was in a coma.

How has the shooting affected the students that you’ve talked to?

They were and are still really scared. My old neighbor is beginning therapy; she watched beside her get shot.

How are the communities of Green Hope and Parkland similar?

Both communities are in their own little bubbles.

Do you think walkouts in schools will help the issue?

Hopefully. Maybe people will see that there needs to be a change.

Do you have any final comments?

This shouldn’t happen anymore, this can’t happen anymore. Something has to change.

On Wednesday, February 28, Falcon News Feed and Student Council organized a walkout at noon. The walkout is not about politics, but about the students of Green Hope standing with fellow students across the country to demand an end to gun violence in our schools.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”