Spring Sports Bold Predictions

Sean Petersen, Sports Writer

Spring sports began yesterday and everybody has high expectations for all sports. Here are some of my bold predictions for all the spring sports as Green Hope looks to secure our 9th straight Wells Fargo cup:

Womens Lacrosse: Noe Brady makes the team and goes on to score five goals this season. Teamwise, the team can definitely win the conference championship if they set their mind to it.

Men’s Lacrosse: The team returns with a lot of young talent after losing several senior starters. Cardinal Gibbons is the best team in the state by a longshot, but Green Hope will make it to the semifinals before losing to Gibbons.

Men’s Tennis: The team will heavily miss Ben Wayand who was the individual State Champion in the 2017 season. Going into the 2018 season, the team is led by Vivek Ramesh. Their main competition in the state and area will be Panther Creek so winning the conference could be a big step towards making a deep playoff run. I definitely believe the team can make a run in the playoffs and I’ll boldly state the team makes it as far as the semifinals.

Women’s Soccer: After losing countless players to graduating seniors and the NCFC Academy, the women’s soccer team looks to make a suprise run to the State Championship. The squad will be led by Anna Bevan, Kacie Mollin, Skye McKinnon, and Catherine Holbrook. Rumor has it that there are a few transfer students that could play a key part for the team and help guide them to a successful season after they gel with the team.

Men’s Golf: The men’s golf team will expect to redeem their second place finish last year with a State Championship in 2018. The team is led by Chris Kim and ECU commit Jack Massei. The team has a lot of young talent and this season could be the start of a string of good years for the team.

Men’s Track: The team looks to go for the triple crown after winning both Cross Country and Indoor Track. Several new sprinters have joined the team for the spring who can benefit the team tremendously as it is one of the team’s weaknesses. The team will be led by eight distance seniors and a few sprinters. Another State Championship is expected.

Women’s Track: The women’s track team hopes to cap the year off another successful season. Seniors Lindsey Eastwood and Lily Redick will be important part to the team in both relays and individual events. I boldly predict a top ten finish for the girls at outdoor states.

Softball: The team returns most of their team after only losing a few seniors. I can definitely see a Conference Title in the works and a playoff bid. There is good competition within the conference including panther creek. A quarterfinal playoff run and Conference Title is definitely not out of the question for this mostly upperclassmen team.