Another Day, Another School Shooting

America's students deserve better

Stoneman Douglas High School site of another deadly school shooting

Coral Springs Talk

Coral Springs Talk

Jordan Barish, Staff Writer

At least 17 people are dead following a school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida. The perpetrator’s name is Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old former student who had been expelled from the school for disciplinary reasons. This marks the 4th school shooting since January 1st of this year where someone other than the shooter was injured. Valentine’s Day is the 45th day of the year. That means that a school shooting occurs less than every 2 weeks.

Whenever a shooting takes place, there are typically three main responses. The first is a call for gun control. Cruz used a semi-automatic rifle to carry out his plan, leading many to ask how a young man can have access to such dangerous weapons. The second response is a plea to pay more attention to mental health/illness. It’s been said by former schoolmates of Cruz that he exhibited worrying behavior. Lastly, some people offer their thoughts and prayers. We can’t begin to understand what the families are going through and it is a nice sentiment to let them know we are thinking of them. However, they need more than just prayers.

I remember in 2012 when Sandy Hook happened. It was such a horrifying and unbelievable incident. Now, sadly, I feel practically numb to events such as these. It’s been over 5 years since Sandy Hook and since then over 200 school shootings have taken place. Still, no significant change on any governmental level have been made.

We don’t need a perfect solution on the first try, or even on the second. Nevertheless we do need our government to do something to attempt to prevent these attacks. The United States has had far and away more school shootings in recent times than other developed countries around the world. Obviously something is wrong, and the constant inaction by our lawmakers is an insult to the innocent lives that are being lost. These are children that are being killed, the young minds that will run our country in the future. School is meant to be a place where the young people of America can cultivate ideas and expand their world view. It shouldn’t be a place where they feel uneasy and unsafe.

17 dead. 17 dead in one school shooting out of 4 this year. 17 dead out of over 200 in the past 5 years.

America’s students need more than just thoughts and prayers. They need change.