Announcements 2/14

Daily Dad Joke
Q: What did the toast say to the butter on Valentine’s Day?

A: You are my butter half!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

ACT TEST for Juniors:

On February 27, 2018, all juniors will participate in the administration of the ACT. Before the test:

1) Create an online account to get started with ACT’s free college and career planning self-assessments: http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/act-profile.html

2) Be prepared for the ACT pre-test portion that will take place in school during the week of 2/12 to 2/16. Students will have an opportunity to select up to four colleges and universities to receive ACT scores (free of charge).

3) Review what to bring to the exam: photo ID two #2 pencils a permitted calculator (https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/ACT-calculator-policy.pdf)

4) Review what NOT to bring into the exam: Reading material Pens of any kind (highlighters are not allowed) Any electronic device, other than a permitted calculator (this includes your mobile phone, smartwatch, fitness band, media player, iPad, headphones, and camera) Food or beverages, including water (you will be offered a break outside of the test room)

5) Review the exam bell schedule posted on the GHHS homepage

Media Center: Tell us what you think! Take the GHHS Library Student Survey and help us improve the Media Center. https://goo.gl/forms/mAJem97cd6cDXzmD2

Career Conversation with Dr. Paul Singh On Thursday, February 22nd during A lunch in the Auditorium students are invited to attend a Career Conversation with Dr. Paul Singh who specializes in Interventional Spine Physiatry. Students can learn more about the life of a medical doctor as well as steps that high school students can undertake to prepare themselves for this rewarding career. Questions should be directed to Ms. Barone in room 2203.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Student of the Year Program: My name is Pauline Etchi, and my partner, Isabelle Raad, and I are part of the Green Hope High School’s Legacy Team in the Triangle Students of the Year Program. This program is based on high school students in the Triangle area competing for the title of ‘Student of the Year’, which is brought by raising funds for blood cancer research. This competition is one that funds an amazing cause, one that is responsible for bringing children, like Adyson and Edward, home, happy and healthy. It is an amazing journey to be a part of, and I hope we will be able to reach our goal with the help of you all. All donations are greatly appreciated and are tax deductible. They’ll not only support LLS-funded research but will help provide critical information and support for patients, and support advocacy for laws to ensure patients can access the care and treatments they need. Through the link, help us grow closer to a cure, and remember, every penny counts, no matter the amount. Please spread the word and support this incredible cause. Thank you! If you have any questions about the cause, please contact me via email at pauline.etchi@gmail.com! :))

All Clubs: The list of existing clubs and advisors here at GHHS is up and active.

History and Geography Club: History and Geography Club meets every Friday BOTH HALVES of Lunch in Mod 2-1. Our website is: http://ghhshistorygeography.weebly.com If you have any questions, contact: Rohan Rajesh rrajesh@students.wcpss.net Kevin Liu kxliu@students.wcpss.net

GHHS Microsoft Office Specialist Club: Hi all! GHHS MOS Club meets every other Friday second half of lunch in room 2322 to certify (test taken to recognize oneself as a pro in an application), to compete in a worldwide well-known competition where winners can potentially win $10,000, and to share tips and tricks about Microsoft applications 🙂 There are many benefits that come with this club. This club provides practice for the competition on every Wednesdays and Fridays both halves of lunch in room 2322. Feel free to drop by anytime to know more or join the club! No prior knowledge is required 🙂 Contact us at ghhsmos@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns. Hope to see you all there!!

Speech and Debate Club: Speech and Debate Club meetings on Tuesdays every week, second half of lunch, RM 3306 http://www.ghhsspeechandebate.weebly.com/

Green Hope Food Ark: Missed the interest meeting? Fill out this form if you are interested in joining our efforts to end food insecurity! https://goo.gl/forms/NETCSWZfkaPV5faP2

Stock Brokers Club: Do you want to learn how to trade? Interested in a career on Wall Street? Come to the Stock Brokers Club to learn how to properly invest and make a profit. We meet every Friday first half of lunch in room Mr. Bauld’s Room (2306). No prior knowledge is required. For more information contact 919-434-5585 or msfarrington@students.wcpss.net

GH DREAM: The GH DREAM club seeks to help refugees who come to our community by gathering donations and raising awareness about their issues. Join us on Tuesdays during the first half of lunch in Mrs. Yamauchi’s classroom–Mod 4, Rm 6.

Green Hope Girls Ultimate Frisbee: Interested in learning or playing the sport of Ultimate? The Green Hope Girls’ team, sanctioned by Triangle/USA Ultimate, meets 3x a week, with fall/spring tournaments and a spring league as well. All (including beginners) are welcome! Joining our team is a fun form of exercise and a great way to make friends and meet a whole new community of people. For more information, please email soniarao2001@gmail.com.

Environmental Club: Come to Environmental Club meetings every Thursday from 2:30-3:15 in room 316! Everyone can attend. You can receive APES hours for attending meetings.

The History and Geography Club meets every Friday, Mod 2-1, B Lunch

Upperclassman Information

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/

School Counselor: Attention seniors: The scholarship newsletter is now posted on the Student Services webpage under “Resources”. The newsletter will be updated with new scholarships on a regular basis. Please be sure to stay updated and remember to submit scholarships by the posted deadline.

ATTN: Juniors and Seniors
In order to attend a college visit, students MUST sign up for Student Services and get a pass by 7:25 am for morning visits and by 11:18 for afternoon visits.  These meetings are for Students Only.

The following is a link to the details of the Coach Bob Pittard scholarship.