Tri-6 Conference Tournament Preview

Bradley Stewart, Sports Editor

The regular season is over for Tri-6 basketball, which means it is time for the conference tournament.  Both the men’s and women’s Green Hope teams won their respective regular season conference championships, earning themselves the number one seed and a bye.  Here is a preview of the Tri-6 tournament:

Men’s Basketball:

#1 Green Hope 19-5 (9-1):

Green Hope dominated the Tri-6 during the regular season.  After a slow start to conference play, the Falcons turned it up a notch, winning their first nine conference games, clinching themselves a conference championship before Senior Night.  Their lone conference loss came in a close game against Panther Creek.

Player to Watch: PJ Fenton

#2 Panther Creek 13-11 (6-4):

Panther Creek has one of the highest ceilings in the conference thanks to junior star Justin Mckoy.  The Catamounts were on a slide before knocking off previously undefeated Green Hope in their final regular season game.  Panther Creek has a potent offense, making them a threat to any team in the conference.

Player to Watch: Justin Mckoy

#3 Athens Drive 17-7 (5-5):

Since a three-game losing streak in late January, Athens Drive has reeled off four wins in a row.  The Jaguars can beat anyone in the Tri-6, evident from nearly beating Green Hope, before losing to them in overtime.  At the same time, however, Athens can lose to anybody on a tough night.  The Jaguars have a high ceiling, but a low floor, making them a team to keep an eye on in the postseason.

Player to Watch: DJ Robertson

#4 Jordan 13-10 (5-5):

Jordan is a classic run-of-the mill team.  They beat the teams they are ahead of in the conference, but lose to the teams above them.  The Falcons did upset Panther Creek earlier this month, but they give up a lot of points, leaving them susceptible to a potent offensive attack.  Senior Jaylen Richard leads the team, scoring nearly 30 points a game.

Player to Watch: Jaylen Richard

#5 Cary 13-10 (4-6):

A year removed from dominating the SWAC (minus Green Hope in the conference tournament), the Imps have struggled in their conference realignment.  Cary enters the postseason having lost five of their last six games, with their only win being against last-place Riverside.  The team showed good signs early in the season, so it is possible they win a game, but a run to a championship would be surprising.

Player to Watch: Jett Fortuny

#6 Riverside 6-17 (1-9):

Despite hosting the conference tournament, Riverside will most likely not play in their own stadium for the rest of this season.  Riverside’s only conference win was a 77-75 barnburner against Cary.  They have lost twelve of their last fourteen games, making it an arduous path to a conference championship.

Player to Watch: Christian Johnson

Women’s Basketball:

GH Athletics
#1 Green Hope 20-4 (8-2):

Green Hope had an unbreakable tie with Jordan, but eventually earned the right to be the number one seed.  Before a tough loss to Jordan in early February, the Falcons had won five in a row.  The Falcons play great defense, often holding their opponents to under 50 points.

Player to Watch: Nia Washington

#2 Jordan 19-5 (8-2):

Jordan enters the conference tournament as the hottest team in the conference.  They’ve won four in a row, including a win over Green Hope that gave them a share of the conference championship.  The only team to have dominated them this year has been Green Hope, setting up the real possibility of a Green Hope-Jordan championship.

Player to Watch: Ashley Roberts

#3 Riverside 14-8 (5-5):

Riverside will get to play every conference tournament game in their home stadium, giving them an edge over the competition.  The team has struggled in the past few weeks, losing three of their past four games.  They should make it to the semi-finals, where they would meet Jordan, who they’ve already beaten this year, so a run to a championship is totally plausible.

Player to Watch: Aijah Perry

#4 Cary 11-13 (4-6):

Much like Jordan for the men, Cary is the definition of mediocre.  They beat the teams they should, but lose to the teams ahead of them.  The Imps typically hold their opponents close, so they have the ability to pull an upset if the chips fall in their favor.

Player to Watch: Teonni Key

#5 Athens Drive 11-12 (3-7):

After a slow start to conference play, Athens Drive has heated up a bit in February.  They enter the postseason having won two of their last three.  They play Cary, who has struggled as of late, so a first-round upset is plausible.  

Player to Watch: Hanna Malik

#6 Panther Creek 9-13 (2-8):

Panther Creek has struggled in the transition to the Tri-6.  They’ve lost their past four games and drew a tough matchup with Riverside in the opening round.  The Catamounts knocked off Riverside earlier this year, but lost to them by double-digits when they played them on the road.  

Player to Watch: Zanah Boyd

Girl’s Predictions

Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball.  I enjoy watching and playing basketball, football, and golf.  My favorite sports teams are the Steelers and Duke.