Green Hope Cheerleading Wins States

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

On Saturday the 3rd of February, the Green Hope Varsity Cheer team had the NCCCA State Championship competition. This event was held at Apex Friendship High School, a short travel for the Falcons. Competing in the Medium Varsity D1 division, the Falcons won with a score of 71.10, beating rival Panther Creek.

For any who are not familiar with how cheerleading competitions are scored, each team is scored in categories. These are the cheer, tumbling, building, dance and the pyramid. Those are how you gain points, points can be deducted because of bobbles and/or falls. The team with the highest score wins.

The Falcons routine included the classic GHHS chant at the beginning. Following, the team tumbled into a pyramid with near perfect technique. The pyramid hit, performing death dives, heel stretches and paper dolls. The team then proceeded to finish the routine with the dance portion.

This success for Green Hope Cheerleading is also seen on the Junior Varsity team as they won their state championship competition on November 7th at the Raleigh Convention Center. Their routine included heel stretches, fulls, death dives, and an inversion flip. The Junior Varsity Falcons Cheerleading team had a near perfect performance to claim their own state crown.

With the cheerleading season coming to an end, the team is hoping to go nowhere but up after this season. Green Hope is only losing four Varsity cheerleaders with many young participants on the squad.

This state title adds on to the list of championships claimed by Green Hope this school year. The Falcons now have six state championships and are looking for more this upcoming spring season.

The varsity team had to pull up 3 JV cheerleaders for this performance due to many members not being able to participate.

This is the second state championship for the Green Hope Cheer team, the first being won by now assistant principal Kim Collins. The Falcons really put in a good effort to be crowned number one in the state.

With the cheerleading season coming to an end, the team is hoping to go nowhere but up after this season. Green Hope is only losing four varsity cheerleaders with many young participants on the squad.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor
Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t...