Filed under NEWS, SHOWCASE

Amazon Alexa Super Bowl Commercial

Recently, Amazon has been making a move to become more than a shopping site.  In order to do this, Amazon is offering products like the Amazon Echo to become a more personal and friendly brand. Having been launched less than 2 years ago, Amazon Echo has been a great success in making the Amazon brand more personal and relatable. However, Amazon wants to make the brand even more ubiquitous.

On Super Bowl Sunday, Amazon aired an ad focused on a very specific aspect of the company: the Amazon Echo, and more specifically, Alexa’s voice.  This ad focuses on what would happen if Alexa lost her voice. Who would replace her? What would it sound like? Amazon’s commercial answers all of those questions.

Featuring celebrities like Gordon Ramsey and Cardi B., this commercial shows what it would be like if Alexa lost her voice and someone had to replace her. Using adult humor and inside jokes from movies like Pitch Perfect, this commercial has already been voted by USA Today as the best Super Bowl Commercial of 2018.

During the commercial favorited by millions, some viewers noticed something odd about it. There may be a hint about where Amazon’s second headquarters may be located. The first words of the commercial are: “In Austin, it’s 60 degrees…” and later in the commercial, one of the actors asks his Amazon Echo: “Alexa, play some country music.” Many people across the country believe that Amazon is trying to hint at where their headquarters will be located. The commercial implies that Amazon’s headquarters may go in a Southern region, specifically Austin, Texas. It is hinted in the commercial.

This would mean that Raleigh, as well as all of the other towns on the East Coast and in North America, are out of the running for the opportunity to have Amazon in their town (for now). The headquarters is expected to have 50,000 employees with a $5 billion investment.

Watch the commercial below: