Falcons Swimming Dominates Regionals

Brandon Morton and Kohl Abrams

On January 3rd, the Falcon Swim team took place in the NCHSAA 4A Central Region Championship at the Greensboro Aquatic Center. Both the men’s and women’s team showed out with exceptional performances. The men’s team finished atop the standings, scoring an impressive 486.5 points, almost 200 points ahead of the second place Grimsley team. They won multiple events, including the 200 yd Medley Relay, the 100 yd Freestyle, and the 400 yd Freestyle Relay. What made the victory even sweeter, they beat Panther Creek for the second time this year. The women’s team finished in second place with 323 points, only 11 points behind the first place finishing Page team. The women also came in first in the 400 yd Freestyle relay.

We sat down with senior swimmer Connor Dalbo to talk about about the meet, and his thoughts about the season and what is to come for the team.

What was it like to take home the victory?

“It was awesome to win our sixth straight regional championship. It really showed the depth of the team this year.”

What are your thoughts about the state championship and who could give you guys a run for your money?

“With our depth we have a good shot at winning. I would say our closest competition will be South Mecklenburg.”

Who has been a big contributor to the success of the team this postseason?

“Michael Ivy. It’s great having him back and he has really shown out.”

How do you guys plan on preparing for states?

“Eating healthy. We have a pasta party at the John Healy’s house. It’s gonna be a good time.”

How has your coached pushed the team to have this level of success?

“Coach brings a lot of energy to the squad. He believes in our team and knows we can compete at the highest level.”

Both the men’s and women’s team qualified for the state championship that will take place this Saturday at the Triangle Aquatic Center. Come out and support the Falcons!

About the Writers
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor
Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t...
Kohl Abrams, Senior Staff Writer
Kohl Abrams is a senior, who is on his second year at the Falcon. He is looking forward to making a great sports section for the Falcon, and showing the whole school his work. Kohl is on the Varsity baseball team for Green Hope, and he plays travel baseball outside of school. He also works...