Morrisville Sam’s Club Closing

Front of a Sam's Club Store

Front of a Sam's Club Store

Joe Wittkop

Joe Wittkop

Front of a Sam's Club Store

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

On Friday, January 6, the Morrisville Sam’s Club closed to the public, with layoffs effective immediately. Walmart, corporate owner of Sam’s Club, said they will be closing more than 60 of its 650 Sam’s Club stores across the United States. The Morrisville Sam’s Club shutdown will cost nearly 187 jobs. Sophomore Miranda Tran stated, “My family and I shop at Sam’s Club all the time. We have a membership there, and that’s where we get all our food shopping done.”

Sam’s Club spoke about their decision on Twitter: “After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition.”

Walmart did not file a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) with the state of North Carolina. This caused the Morrisville location (as well as several other Sam’s Clubs across the U.S.) to not notify employees prior to the public receiving the news, giving the employees a sudden and unfortunate surprise.

It is unclear exactly how many employees have been affected by the 60 shutdowns, but Sam’s Club states that each store employs about 175 people. Sam’s Club says that they are trying to find jobs for affected employees at other Sam’s Club locations and Walmarts across the U.S.

Only one other store in North Carolina was among the 63 closings- the Lumberton Sam’s Club, costing around 149 jobs. Four other Sam’s Clubs in the Triangle (two in Raleigh, one in Durham, and one in Wake Forest) are still currently listed as open on their website.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!