Basketball Soars Past PC For Two Fight For 55 Points

Another day, another point in the Fight for 55

GH Athletics.

GH Athletics.

Peyton Barish, Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 23rd, the men’s and women’s basketball team took on the Panther Creek Catamounts at Panther Creek High School, and both teams walked out of the gym with victories.  The Lady Falcons thrashed a clearly undermanned Panther Creek squad that had no answer to the attacking offense of the Lady Falcons in a game that the girls won 53-25.  On the men’s side, the boys survived a Panther Creek comeback to walk away with a victory over their arch rival 56-50.

The women’s basketball team claims a Fight for 55 point.

The Lady Falcon’s tipped off at 6:30 after the two JV games had wrapped up.  Heading into the game, the team was an outstanding 14-3, and looked to continue their recent dominance after a 20 point victory over Cary 10 days earlier.  It was clear from tip-off that Panther Creek was thoroughly outclassed by a veteran Green Hope team that was quicker, stronger, and smarter than them.  The girls made sure to focus on their ball movement in order to move Panther Creek out of position opening up passing lanes for easy layups.  On defense the girls gave the Catamounts all they could handle for 32 minutes.  Tori Washington’s pressure led to multiple turnovers that the Lady Falcons turned into quick fast-break points.  At the half the team led the Catamounts by almost 20 points, and things only got worse for Panther Creek from there.  In the second half the girls continued to work the ball around the court getting open look after open look, while continuing to suffocate Panther Creek defensively.  Panther Creek had no answer to the high post set that the Lady Falcons continued to run off of Nia Washington, and led to continuous success over the course of the second half.  At the end of the game it was clear who the class of 55 was.

Prior to the men’s game it was up in the air who would walk away with a victory due to the presence of Justin McKoy on Panther Creek.  McKoy is one of the best players in the Tri-6, and if he was hot the Falcons were going to have a tough time stopping him.  However the Falcons proved they were up to the task focusing on McKoy throughout the game.  Jordan Bates-Williams and Jalen Corprew played ferocious defense against McKoy giving him all he could handle and forcing Panther Creek’s other players to beat the Falcons.  For 27 minutes the plan worked to perfection with the Falcons leading the entire game thanks to key-shot making from Chuck Hills, Ryan Shaffer, and PJ Fenton.  However, McKoy brought his team back with a lay-up that put the game within 4 and then minutes later knocked down a three pointer to put Panther Creek up by 1.  The game was not yet over, and Jordan Bates-Williams added yet another chapter to his clutch play in big games with a mid-range jumper to put the Falcons up by 1.  Chuck Hills added a clutch steal and drew the foul on the other end to send Green Hope to the line.  In a scary moment for the Falcons, Hills went down after drawing the foul, but it turned out to just be cramps.  Nick Lawson came in and hit one of the two free throws to put the team up by 2.  On the other end Panther Creek missed their next attempt, and Bates-Williams corralled the rebound before getting fouled sending him to the line.  He knocked them both down putting the game out of reach for Panther Creek.  Bates-Williams hit two more free throws to ice the game, and the Falcons walked out of the Catamounts gym with a silenced crowd of Panther Creek students carrying the Fight for 55 sign back to where it really belongs.

Both teams take on the Imps of Cary High School tonight at home. Come out and support your Falcons!

• Basketball Soars Past PC For Two Fight For 55 Points

Fight for 55

Green Hope vs. Panther Creek

Fight for 55

Tennis Kicks Off Fight for 55!

Fight for 55

Panther Creek Caught that L

Fight for 55

Weekly Sports

Fight for 55

Fight for 55 Preview