California Mudslides

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, January 9th, intense rain following wildfires in Santa Barbara caused mudslides to occur, which left at least 15 people dead, over 160 people injured, and roughly 2 dozen people missing. These heavy rains caused homes and trees to become uprooted as well as streets to be filled with abandoned cars. According to the National Weather Service, 5.5 inches of rain fell in certain areas of Southern California. There were about 7,000 mandatory evacuations issued in Santa Barbara, however, some people chose to stay. According to Santa Barbara County, people who chose not to leave must stay in their homes or they will be arrested for a misdemeanor.

More than 100 homes were destroyed and thousands of homes were left without power and water service. Celebrities such as Rob Lowe and Oprah were some of the people living in homes that were threatened by the mudslides.

The debris from the mudslides resulted in the rupture of a natural gas line, causing fires inside some neighborhoods.

While the majority of the damage is done, the time it will take to repair roads and houses is unknown. Additionally, there are still several missing people in Southern California that will continue to be searched for.

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

Bianca is a sophomore at Green Hope and this is her first year in Falcon News Feed. She enjoys photography, writing, and playing sports, such as basketball. Bianca’s favorite color is pink and she loves animals. Her birthday is October 11 and her favorite holiday is Halloween.