Green Hope Jumps over Jaguars 68-66 in OT

Green Hope upends Athens, 68-66

Green Hope upends Athens, 68-66

Bradley Stewart

Bradley Stewart

Green Hope upends Athens, 68-66

Bradley Stewart, Senior Sports Writer

Green Hope basketball knocked off Athens Drive 68-66 in overtime last night.  The win over the 5th ranked team in the High School OT poll moved the Falcons to 11-3 on the year. It was Green Hope’s first game, and win, in the Tri-6.  Athens Drive should be one of Green Hope’s key conference opponents this year, so the early win makes the Falcons the front-runner in the conference.  Green Hope now has the best conference and overall record in the Tri-6.  

The Falcons jumped out to an early lead, using an 11-0 run to start the game to lead by seven at the end of the first quarter.  In the second quarter, Athens Drive was able to cut their deficit to four.  With 6:28 left in the third quarter, the Jaguars took their first lead of the game.  Athens Drive scored 23 points in the third quarter to take a nine point lead into the fourth quarter. Green Hope proceeded to go on a 15-6 run, that was capped off by a Jordan Bates-Williams’ three, to tie the game.  The final four minutes went back and forth, but Green Hope found themselves on the free-throw line with under three seconds to go in a tie game.  A missed free-throw set up a desperation half-court shot by the Jaguars.  Carden Mitchell’s heave was not close, sending the game to overtime.  Green Hope used great defense in overtime to set up the eventual game winning three-pointer by Josh Savino.

Savino led the team with 20 points, on 9-10 shooting, while also grabbing six rebounds.  The Falcons’ leading scorer on the year, Ryan Shaffer, dropped 18 points, blocked four shots, and hauled in six rebounds. Senior point guard Chuck Hills put together a tremendous stats line, scoring 9 points, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4 assists.  Jordan Bates-Williams put up six points and six rebounds in the win. PJ Fenton and Justen Grant both scored six points, while Nick Lawson scored three.

The win extended Green Hope’s winning streak to four, making it their longest of the season.  They are currently ranked 12th in the High School OT rankings and 13th in the News & Observer Top 25, but should move up with their Top 5 win.  Green Hope’s next game is at home against Riverside-Durham.  Come out and support.