Should Finals Be Pushed Back?

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Green Hope students came back from the winter break only to receive another that practically lasted an entire week. While some students rejoiced, others began stressing out as soon as they found out. This is because our final exams start on the 12th. That gives students less than a week to review material and some classes are still discussing new material. With this comes the question, some are arguing that finals should be pushed back to accommodate for the lost week of school. While most seniors would say no due to their exemptions to final exams, the rest of us are left to scramble for answers as to how we will survive the last week of the first semester. This being said, finals should not be pushed back.

While it’s easy to say that with only a week remaining in the semester, finals should be pushed back to accommodate for the winter weather, the change would not make any sense. Finals already take an entire week, and pushing them back would set the entire second semester back a week.  Second semester AP classes already have three weeks less than the first semester to teach all of the material because of the AP exams taking place in May, and the rest of the classes in school already have curriculums and lesson plans for next semester. That extra week would decimate those plans.

The only plausible schedule change would be to start the finals on Monday the 15th. Because is MLK Day, school is currently not scheduled to take place. However, if Wake County were to change the schedule, allowing schools to take a day off on President’s Day instead, and therefore starting finals on MLK Day, students would be ecstatic. Not only would this give students an entire extra weekend to study for their first and third period exams, but it would also give them an additional day to go to tutorials, ask their teachers questions, and make sure that they excel at their final exams.