My guide to AP classes

Shea Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Green Hope is a top tier academic school, recognized in North Carolina and nationally. This reputation is not lost on the students.From the time we arrive at Green Hope as freshmen, and sometimes even before, we are anecdotally advised that in order to get into college it is essential to have a minimum 4.5 weighted GPA and to have taken ten or more AP classes.  

This, however, is untrue.  While AP courses are beneficial because they are challenging and rigorous, they are not the only measure of future success.

To those planning on expanding their academic schedule to incorporate advanced placement classes, here are a few tips for succeeding the best you can.

Read ALL of the material!

When you are taking an AP class, your teacher will usually assign textbook pages, or other reading material as part of your daily homework.  Often, your test at the end of a unit will mostly cover the material you were assigned to read.  Trust me, I definitely know how easy it is to push back reading tell yourself that you’ll catch up later.  This, however, will lead you into a vicious cycle and you’ll end up trying to cramming chapters 17-30 and two books the night before a test.  Ok, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration, but I’m not kidding… read your stuff the night you are assigned to read it.  I promise you it will be worthwhile.

Take the AP exam in May.

The whole point of taking an AP exam is so when you eventually take the exam in May and get a good enough score, the class could possibly give you college credit.  How awesome is it that you get the opportunity to already be taking college-level classes and earning college credits in High School?! So… take the exam in May.  It will be totally worth it when you don’t have to take American History 101 and 102 in college because you scored a 4 on the AP US History exam in High School.

Don’t forget that you are taking a college level course.  

In college, there are no homework grades, tutorial grades, or anything in between.  For the most part, your grade relies solely on learning the material and taking tests on it.  AP courses are designed to mirror (as closely as possible) a college class, and this often means that there are no cushion grades.  So if you are making all C’s on tests, don’t be upset when you make a C in the class.  It’s harsh, but it’s true.  Welcome to college kids, but in the comfort of your High School hallways… for now at least.