Holiday Plans

By Helgi Halldórsson from Reykjavík, Iceland - Happy Holidays

Noe Brady, Staff Writer

Many students and their families travel near and far to celebrate Christmas, New Year’s, Hanukkah, or just to enjoy the holiday break. Some people visit their extended families during break, but others take advantage of the break and use it as the perfect time for a family vacation. Others choose to stay in town and enjoy the warm feeling of Christmas in their own home.

Personally, I have travelled to Orlando for every Christmas for the past ten years. I usually go there for five or six days with my parents and brother. We usually go to Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, or Discovery Cove. One of my best friends Alex comes down every year too so I get to hang out with her a lot and go to the parks. Disney at Christmas is the busiest time of the year, making it hard to maneuvers the parks and ride all of the best rollercoasters. While going to Disney is fun and exciting, it gets boring after years of going. I wish I could stay home and enjoy Christmas in Cary, but I know others stuck at home are wishing the opposite.

A lot of people go to exotic places as a Christmas present or a random winter vacation. Junior, Shea Kofkin-Hansen, who moved to NC from Australia a few years ago, said, “My sister and I are meeting my dad in Lake Tahoe to go skiing. This is our fourth Christmas living in America, and we usually go on a vacation at this time, as all of our family is in Australia. In Australia, we would often just stay home and celebrate Christmas as a big family.” Some students, like Shea, travel within the U.S. during break, but others make big trips to foreign countries. Senior, Isaac Fisher, said, “My family is heading to Rome, Italy for Christmas. It’s actually my first time outside of the U.S. so I’m really excited. Ciao bella!”

It’s common during the holidays for many to visit their families and follow yearly traditions with their cousins and other family members. Camy Peele, Junior, said,“I’m going to my Grandma’s house in Sanford, NC, for Christmas because we go there every year. My sister and I help her wrap presents and then the rest of my family comes down on Christmas Eve.” The traditions range from wrapping presents to making classic Christmas treats with family. Junior, Garrett Williams, said, “We drive up to Virginia for a couple days to visit my Uncle Chadwick who is a little lonely in his house. He enjoys having us as company and we all sing Christmas carols together. We have a good ole time drinking eggnog, except for me because I’m too young.”

Aside from the exciting vacations and adventures, some enjoy the Christmas atmosphere in Cary. Logan Coring, junior, spends her time “staying home and making Christmas cookies for Santa with Shea (her sister).” Many high school students have family come to them from other places. Junior, Claire Melton, said “My family stays home and we have all of our family friends come over. My mom makes some ham and we feast. On Christmas Day, we go to my cousins’ house in Apex and have food and open presents and I love my life.”

Noe Brady, Staff Writer

Noe Brady is a dedicated XC runner (I Company) and dog lover. This is her first year in Falcon News Feed and she’s looking forward to writing about sports. Noe is Fetty Wap’s #1 fan alongside Kirsten Brasington. Her life motto is “Savage on, feelings off.”Add her on snap @noe_brady