The Last Jedi Shines As Latest Star Wars Film

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi is the Star Wars movie the fans and the franchise needed. When fans were rushing to get seats for the previous installment, The Force Awakens, this is the film they wanted: a movie with complex characters, new worlds, and an interesting addition to the Star Wars saga. The Last Jedi gave fans just that. It was a truly new movie, which, after the last installment in the saga, is an accomplishment. Not to say that The Last Jedi is only a good film compared to The Force Awakens, because that’s not true. The Last Jedi was genuinely a fun, exciting adventure that saw intriguing character development from every character. This movie was a new hope for the franchise, no pun intended.

Unfortunately, the movie starts on a sour note with multiple cheesy moments, one after another. It seemed like they were trying to have as many funny jokes as they could fit into the film, because that’s obviously what makes a good movie, and that’s what made the original trilogy the best trilogy in film history. Wrong, and somewhere along the process of writing the script, the filmmakers realized that and completely shifted the tone of the movie. From that point onwards, the comedy in the film was appropriate and the comic relief was once again brought by the character of Finn.

John Boyega, who portrays ex-stormtrooper Finn, did a very good job of transitioning between comic relief and a more serious tone when the setting required it, and he also did a good job of showing the conflict within Finn as the character continues to struggle with his past and his future. He doesn’t feel loyalty to the Resistance as much as he does for his friends, Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), both of whom undergo major character development. Rey, who was seen as an all-powerful Force master after Episode VII, was humbled in this movie as the film expanded on her abilities, making them more believable.  Poe showed just how much he was willing to give to the Resistance and is clearly the “Han Solo” of this trilogy, but also has humility and shows respect for General Leia Organa (the late Carrie Fisher). The other major characters were Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Kylo Ren, a.k.a. Ben Solo (Adam Driver). We as an audience find Luke in a very dark place that he has to find his way out of. Kylo Ren continues to deal with the conflict within him, the good and the evil, the light and the dark. Leaving the movie, he and the audience can much more clearly see which side he gives himself to.

Along with all of these returning characters were three major new characters. The first was Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran), a Resistance engineer who feels a connection to Finn and finds a hero within herself. The second was Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo (Laura Dern), Leia’s second in command. Holdo shows a different side of leadership than Leia does and that causes conflict with Poe, but they are all fighting for the same thing. The third new character, my personal favorite, was DJ (Benicio del Toro). DJ is the character Han Solo might have become if he hadn’t fallen in love with Leia, and he was a very fun character. The last new creatures that have been lighting the Internet on fire are the Porgs, and, thankfully, they are not as annoying as Twitter has been when making memes of them.

Overall, The Last Jedi was an enjoyable experience that instilled hope in the future of Star Wars, both within the story and to the fans that didn’t enjoy The Force Awakens. There were cool cameos, a touching tribute to Carrie Fisher, and easter eggs, as well as new creatures, worlds, and lore that was a great addition to the Star Wars universe.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”