Top Google Searches of 2017

from Wikimedia Commons

from Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

Google is the most used search engine in the world. Approximately 3.5 billion searches are completed every day and 1.2 trillion searches per year. All throughout 2017, people all around the world used Google to learn more about a variety of topics. The countries with the highest share of activity on Google this year were Brazil, India, and Spain. Google has released the top searches of 2017, and none of these top searches have anything to do with politics. This year, celebrities, storms, and electronics made the top of the list.

Worldwide, Hurricane Irma was the top search of the year. Following close behind were the iPhone 8 and iPhone X at second and third place, respectively. The past “Today” show host, Matt Lauer came in third place. Prince Harry’s fiancée, Meghan Markle was the fourth top search this year. Other names such as Tom Petty and the Netflix original show, Thirteen Reasons Why, made the list.

In the United States, Hurricane Irma remained the most searched topic. Matt Lauer was the second most searched name, and Tom Petty came in third. Other popular searches in the U.S. this year included the Super Bowl, the solar eclipse, Mayweather vs McGregor fight, and fidget spinners. The most searched meme this year was “Cash Me Outside.” In the music world, singer Ariana Grande and the song “Despacito” dominated google searches this year.

These top searches reflect the crazy, but exciting year of 2017. What will 2018 bring?