Basketball Breaks the Cougars

Bradley Stewart, Sports Writer

The Green Hope basketball team pulled out a squeaker of a win over Apex last night.  The 67-61 home victory moved the Falcons to 6-2 on the year.  Green Hope now is tied for the best record in the Tri-6 with Athens Drive and Cary, although conference play has not started yet.  The Falcons are on a winning streak for the third time this year, attempting to build momentum heading into the new year.

Green Hope got off to a hot start early and was up 8 at half.  The second half was more competitive as Apex battled late in an attempt to make a comeback.  Despite making up two points in the third quarter, the Cougers couldn’t mount a final rally and fell short. Green Hope won the game with free throws, shooting 86% from the line. Senior Chuck Hills led Green Hope last night, putting 16 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, and dishing out three assists.  Josh Savino led the team in scoring, scoring 19 points on 7-for-10 shooting.  Ryan Shaffer had a down game, by his standards, only scoring 12 points, his second lowest output this year.  Jordan Bates-Williams also scored 12 points in the win.  

The Falcons look to extend their winning streak and make it their longest of the season.  Green Hope’s next game is Friday against Lee County.  Lee County is a 3A school who finished around .500 last season.  After that, Green Hope has another date with Apex, this time on the road, in their final game before the Christmas Tournament.