Eminem’s “Revival”

The+new+Eminem.++
The new Eminem.

The new Eminem.

By Marshall Mathers (Eminem) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons

The new Eminem.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

After four years, Eminem is set to make his miraculous return to rap on December 15 with the release of his latest album, Revival. After a year of speculation and anticipation, people are ready to see what the king of rap has been working on. At least they were until Eminem released the tracklist on Twitter. After the release of his first single, Walk on Water was released with a feature from Beyonce, people were skeptical, but after seeing some of the features on the rest of the album, people are not happy. The most notable of these features is Ed Sheeran, which seems out of place in an Eminem song. Outside of that, there are also features from pop stars Alicia Keys, Pink, and Kehlani. People are complaining that this isn’t the Eminem they wanted or that they want to hear “real” rap. While these may be valid complaints, this is Eminem we’re talking about and he’s the greatest rapper on the planet.

I’ll be honest, when Walk on Water was released, I was looking for something else. I wanted an Eminem classic that would use wordplay and rhyme scheme to tell a good story as he has done countless times in the past. Despite my disappointment in the decision to release Walk on Water as the first single, it was a good song that showed once again that he doesn’t need a “hip hop” beat to show his lyrical ability. While it wasn’t the best song he’s ever written, it was an experiment that was a success. This being said, I don’t want this to be a trend. I don’t want an album full of pop songs and neither does anyone else. Hopefully he understands this and doesn’t release one and instead uses these features to replicate the success of hit songs like Love the Way You Lie and Won’t Back Down.

When asked about her feelings about these features, Green Hope student Rehnuma Ahmed said, “It’s nice how he’s including other artists that are kind of different from each other in his songs. He’s bringing in more popular singers that a lot of people like.” While he is seemingly changing some things, he is also featuring only one rapper, that being Phresher, a relatively small-time rapper who has showed excitement for their collaboration. With all this being said, Eminem is the greatest rapper in the world and even though his last album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, wasn’t his best work, Revival is something to be excited for.

YouTube
11.17.17