NY Bus Terminal Explosion

from Wikimedia Commons

from Wikimedia Commons

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

On Monday, December 11, a man detonated a homemade explosive in a subway station in Times Square, New York. The bomb blew up around 7:20 AM near Port Authority and the entire terminal filled with smoke, causing people to quickly run towards the exit.

A man walked into a pedestrian passageway between Times Square and Port Authority subway stations and blew up a bomb that was strapped to his chest. While nobody died, there were three people with minor injuries. The attacker, however, was severely injured and rushed to the hospital for burns to his abdomen and his hands.

Police have identified the attacker as Akayed Ullah, a 27-year-old living in Brooklyn that moved from Bangladesh in 2011. Sources say that he was an “ordinary guy” who usually prayed at a mosque and worked as a driver for a car service. Mohammad Yousuf, a cab driver that prayed with Ullah at their mosque, said “he’s a good guy…I can’t believe he would do anything like this.” Law enforcement officials state that the attacker bombed the subway station in retaliation for American airstrikes in the Middle East that are targeting ISIS. He said that he selected this certain area because of “Christmas-themed posters.”

The Mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, said: “The terrorists are not going to win, we’re going to keep being New Yorkers.” On the day after the attack, the bus terminals were on and running except for the corridor that runs between Port Authority and Times Square.

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

Bianca is a sophomore at Green Hope and this is her first year in Falcon News Feed. She enjoys photography, writing, and playing sports, such as basketball. Bianca’s favorite color is pink and she loves animals. Her birthday is October 11 and her favorite holiday is Halloween.