Green Hope Wins International Friendly

Colin Fegeley

Colin Fegeley

Bradley Stewart, Sports Writer

Last night, the Australian national anthem was played in the Green Hope gym, as the Green Hope basketball team defeated Northside, a high school from Australia, 93-66.  Northside is making a tour in North Carolina, playing high schools all over the state.  The Falcons’ win was a monumental response after a heartbreaking loss against Leesville Road the night before.

Green Hope opened the game hot, leading at halftime by a score of 45-32.  As the game went on, the Falcons wore out the Wizards, scoring 48 second half points to secure the win.    Both teams showed good sportsmanship in the international matchup.  Senior Ryan Sikorski said, “It was a lot of fun playing them.  They were all extremely nice and polite.” Green Hope was led by junior PJ Fenton, who scored 17 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, and dished out 3 assists.  Chuck Hills dropped 16 points on the Aussies, while also bringing in three rebounds and recording three assists.  The Falcons played a team game to get the dominating win, recording 21 assists.  A number of players set career high for points last night, as Justen Grant scored 10 points, Walker Beard scored 9, and Sam Wayand put up 7.  Sophomore Jalen Corprew tied his career high with 6 points.  

The win is a huge confidence booster for the team, as they clicked on all cylinders from beginning to end.  Green Hope will look to continue its success against a reeling Apex team next Tuesday.  Although Apex is 0-5, four of their losses have been by single digits, so this team is not a pushover.  The game is at home and at 6:30, so come out and support.