Green Hope Weekly Wrap-Up: 11/27-12/3

Bradley Stewart, Sports Writer

The Green Hope winter athletics have officially kicked off their seasons, with all players returning to the lineups. Here is your Green Hope weekly athletic wrap-up:

Men’s Basketball:

The Green Hope basketball team handled Middle Creek, 71-46.  Ryan Shaffer, once again, led the team in scoring, putting up 19 points in the win.  PJ Fenton also made an impact in the scoring column, as he scored 16 points.  Fenton also made a difference on the boards, grabbing six in the game.  This was Chuck Hills’ first game back, since the football season ended last week, and made an immediate impact as a distributor.  He dished out five assists and nabbed a steal in the win.  Green Hope beat Wakefield on Saturday to improve to 4-1 on the year.  Ryan Shaffer could not be stopped, scoring 27 points and grabbing seven rebounds.  

The Week Ahead:

Wednesday @ 6:30 vs Leesville Road

Thursday @ 6:30 vs Aussie Travelers

Women’s Basketball:

The women’s basketball team suffered a heart-breaking 39-36 loss.  Nia Washington did her best to try and get the Falcons the win, scoring 14 points and grabbing nine rebounds.  Sammi Sever also played well, getting 9 points and ten rebounds. Green Hope rebounded by demolishing Middle Creek on Friday.  

The Week Ahead:

Wednesday @ 5:00 vs Leesville Road

Thursday @ 5:00 vs Aussie Travelers

Wrestling:

Green Hope wrestling picked up two big wins on Wednesday night.  They defeated Northern Durham and West Johnston in dominating fashion.  Through those matches, Cole Furrie, Mayank Rawat, Jacob Benavente, Ian Bush, and Andrew Becvar were all undefeated.  The Falcons also wrestled in the Green Hope Grapple on Saturday.  Andrew Becvar, Tyler Coutre, and Lucas Laszac all played for Green Hope, while Cole Furrie finished won the gold medal.

The Week Ahead:

Wednesday @ 6:00 vs Garner and Fike

Friday @ 4:00 at Knightdale

Saturday @ 12:00 at Ravenscroft

Swim & Dive:

Both the men’s and women’s swim teams went undeafeted last week.  John Healy placed first in the 100 Fly and 100 Back. Michael Ivy won the 100 Free, while Connor Dalbo took first in the 100 Breaststroke.  John Healy won NCPrep Swimmer of the Week for his domination against Panther Creek and Apex.  

The Week Ahead:

Wednesday @ 7:00 vs Apex Friendship, Rolesville, and Cardinal Gibbons

Indoor Track:

The boy’s cross country team traveled to Portland, Oregon to compete in the Nike Cross Nationals (NXN).  Green Hope, running as Western Cary, did not run well, finishing last in the boy’s section.  Finn McBride finished first of all the Western Cary runners who competed.

The Week Ahead:

Friday @ 5:00 in the Mighty Explorers

About the Contributor
Bradley Stewart, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Bradley, a senior sports writer on the Falcon News Feed staff.  This is my second year on the Falcon News Feed team.  I have spent my entire life in the Triangle.  I have an older brother and sister and a twin brother.  On weekends, I enjoy playing sports with my friends, especially basketball....