Southern California Wildfires

Fire spreads across southern California

Fire spreads across southern California

from Wikimedia Commons

from Wikimedia Commons

Fire spreads across southern California

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, December 5th, a series of wildfires began breaking out in Southern California. This area, specifically Ventura County, has winds of over 66 miles per hour and can reach up to 80 miles per hour. Additionally, Southern California is experiencing very low humidity levels; single-digits or teens. It is expected that these fires will continue to spread into Thursday, December 7th. There are currently four major fires: the Thomas fire, Creek fire, Skirball fire, and Rye fire.

The Thomas fire is located in Ventura County and is the largest of the four fires. As of late Wednesday, the fire was only 5 percent contained. This fire spread to over 108,000 acres within two days. With increasing winds, experts say that the fire will begin spreading into neighboring areas such as Santa Barbara. In this area, there were 50,000 mandatory evacuation orders.

The Creek fire is located in Sylmar, California and is only 5 percent contained and has burned about 12,605 acres. Over 30 buildings have been burnt to the ground and there has been an evacuation order of 110,000 people. While about 40 horses have died from this fire, there are no reported people deaths. Roughly 1,100 personnel are working on stopping the fire.

The Skirball fire is very close to Los Angeles and has spread to 450 acres. This fire is responsible for closing down the 405 freeway and threatening numerous structures in the area (the Getty Center). A state of emergency has been declared but firefighters kept the fire from spreading.

The Rye fire is located in Santa Clarita and burned about 7,000 acres. According to authorities, the fire is 10 percent contained and there are 775 firefighters on the scene. There are no mandatory evacuations either.

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

Bianca is a sophomore at Green Hope and this is her first year in Falcon News Feed. She enjoys photography, writing, and playing sports, such as basketball. Bianca’s favorite color is pink and she loves animals. Her birthday is October 11 and her favorite holiday is Halloween.