Supreme Court Approves Travel Ban

Passports will not work for the countries affected by the travel ban.

Ben Carawan

Ben Carawan

Ben Carawan, News Section Editor

After much controversy over the past few months, President Donald Trump’s travel ban – the third edition – has been approved by the Supreme Court. Although not a final official ruling, the travel ban prevents people from traveling to the US from the following countries: Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen. The Trump Administration has been trying all year to get the travel ban approved. Two of the Supreme Court justices said that they would have denied the travel ban.

A White House spokesperson said that they are “not surprised” by the decision on December 5th and the ban “is lawful and essential to protecting our homeland.” This will likely cause more protests and more controversy within the next few weeks. With this travel ban, many citizens from the eight countries blocked by the ban will not be able to enter the country for any reason. While some people claim that the Trump Administration has a bias against Muslims, others say that it is a necessary order to protect the country.

The first version of the ban was signed by Donald Trump on January 27th of this year, and several days later, the travel ban progress was halted. About a month later, the second version of the ban was signed into law, which also came to a halt. During the summer months, there were a lot of back and forth and arguments within the government. In September, a third rendition was put into place, which faced much opposition, especially from judges in Hawaii and Maryland. Finally, on December 4, the travel ban was allowed to continue.

A list of countries that are affected by the President’s newest version of the travel ban.

Previous versions of the president’s travel ban allowed relatives of United States citizens into the country, but the latest version prevents that from occurring. Also, the latest version will last indefinitely, unlike some of the previous versions.

There will likely be much opposition to the travel ban much like the previous versions, and several groups have announced their plans to attempt to protest or overthrow the previous decisions. Many civil rights protests have taken place with previous versions of the ban, and it is expected with this version as well.

About the Contributor
Ben Carawan, News Editor

This Ben’s second year as a member of the Falcon News Feed. He is a member of an ever-decreasing population of people who have of lived in Cary their whole lives. Ben uses his native Cary skills to primarily cover local news and student life. In his free time, Ben likes driving, but is awful at it.