Stand Up For America by Standing Against Moore

America Needs Less Moore.

Roy Moore Twitter Page

America Needs Less Moore.

Cayley Ryan, Staff Writer

It may seem bizarre to care about a Senate race in a state we don’t belong to or inhabit, but the Alabaman race may very well give us a hint into the future of our nation. Republican candidate Roy Moore will face off with the Democratic candidate Doug Jones in a special election on December 12th. The results will determine not only who will represent Alabama in the Senate, but also where our country is willing to draw the line on the morality of those we trust to govern us.

On November 9th, the Washington Post published their investigation that revealed a woman’s claims that Roy Moore had sexually assaulted her when she was 14 years old, and he was 32 years old, working as an assistant district attorney. Leigh Corfman was waiting outside of a custody hearing when he told her mother, “I’ll stay out here with her.”  Three more women have come forward and stated that he also made sexual advances to them when he was in his thirties and they were teenagers (16 to 18 years old).

On December 4th, President Donald Trump gave Moore a wholehearted endorsement. After having previously withheld their support and cut ties to the candidate, the Republican National Committee (the leadership of the GOP) endorsed Moore mere hours after Trump did. Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential contender in 2012, tweeted out the same day, “No vote, no majority is worth losing our honor, our integrity.”

In a frankly bizarre demonstration, Project Veritas (a conservative group that attempts to obtain undercover videos in liberal establishments or left-leaning organizations) supported a woman who made dramatic and utterly false claims to the Washington Post about Roy Moore sexually assaulting her. Hardline conservatives have been willing to not only deny the allegations (despite evidence and the testimonies of multiple women) but also craft false rape allegations to gain leverage against the “fake news” of the left-leaning media; the irony is horrifying.

Moore has acted as a litmus test, creating a rift between those speaking out against him and those determined to win at whatever cost. The presidential election showed that even a man who has  been accused of sexual assault by more than a dozen women — a man who has proudly proclaimed his ability to grab women’s genitalia, a man who has said that in another world he would find his own daughter attractive — can hold the highest office in the land.

But the case in Alabama has given our right-leaning neighbors a chance for redemption. If the democrat Doug Jones wins, which is almost unprecedented in a state that is bright red on the electoral map, it will be a statement that enough is enough — that party lines are not more important than ensuring a child molester does not hold high public office. If Roy Moore wins, the people of Alabama are telling their wives and daughters that their bodily autonomy, their safety and security in this world, is less important than gaining one seat in the Senate.

This December 12th, I urge you to take thirty seconds and look at the results of the Alabama Senate race. In the simplest terms, this will show if the ideological division in our country is more powerful than the disgust for an alleged child molester.

To be unaware of politics, even those not in our immediate state, is no longer a luxury we can afford.