Western Cary Goes to Portland

Jason Bochert

Jason Bochert

Brandon Morton and Kohl Abrams

This past Saturday, the Western Cary Track Club (consisting of members of the Green Hope XC Team) participated in the Nike Cross Country Nationals in Portland, Oregon. The team received an at-large bid after placing 3rd in the regional qualifiers the week before. On Wednesday, November 29th, the team took flight to Oregon in an all-expenses paid “business trip” the team called it. The team was hoping to go and enjoy the moment, but also get the job done at the race on Saturday.

Thursday the 30th, the team went to the Tiger Woods Center at the Nike Headquarters to receive their uniform for the weekend. Each member received a locker with $650 worth of Nike apparel. This included a backpack, spikes, trainers, uniform, arm sleeves, and warm-ups. Senior Ares Jason Bochert
said, “The gear and the experience were amazing. There was a lot of stuff.” The team followed that by going to the athletes lounge and exploring the multi-billion dollar facility.

Saturday, the 2nd, was the day of the biggest race in Green Hope men’s cross country history. The gun shot at 10:05 Pacific time on a cold, rainy day and the boys were off. Epps said, “Wednesday was sunny, and slowly as the race got closer it kept getting colder and colder. Then on race day it was raining and muddy.” The start of the race was hectic as Epps said, “When the gun shot, I ran and almost broke my leg. Luckily, I was able to avoid it and keep running.” None of the boys got injured at the start, however senior Ryan Kemper strained his hamstring 300 meters in. Kemper was still able to push through and finish the race, just not as fast as he hoped too. The team as a whole did not perform up to the expectations they have had all season. The team finished 22nd, posting the worst score they have had all season.

All members of the cross country team are now focused on indoor track season and many are excited. Epps said, “Absolutely I am excited. Also, I am especially ready to beat Sean Petersen’s 1K time.” The team is hoping to follow-up a second place finish at states the year before, losing to Panther Creek.

The cross country team should not let that race define their season as they broke so many records and paved a new legacy of greatness at Green Hope. Peyton Barish broke the 5K record, the team got the Southeast’s first at-large bid for nationals, this was the first Green Hope  men’s team to go to nationals, they won the state title, and built relationships that will last a lifetime. Reed Blackman is the only returner from this top 7 to return next year, but he will surely look to carry on the legacy left by this years graduating class.

• Western Cary Goes to Portland

Western Cary Track Club featuring members of GHXC- Portland Bound

• Western Cary Goes to Portland

Falcons Fly into States

• Western Cary Goes to Portland

Falcons Cross Country Crushes Records

• Western Cary Goes to Portland

Catherine ‘The Spark’ Holbrook

• Western Cary Goes to Portland

Cross Country Stumbles at Oatlands

Western Cary Goes to Portland