Western Cary Goes to Portland

Jason Bochert

Jason Bochert

Brandon Morton and Kohl Abrams

This past Saturday, the Western Cary Track Club (consisting of members of the Green Hope XC Team) participated in the Nike Cross Country Nationals in Portland, Oregon. The team received an at-large bid after placing 3rd in the regional qualifiers the week before. On Wednesday, November 29th, the team took flight to Oregon in an all-expenses paid “business trip” the team called it. The team was hoping to go and enjoy the moment, but also get the job done at the race on Saturday.

Thursday the 30th, the team went to the Tiger Woods Center at the Nike Headquarters to receive their uniform for the weekend. Each member received a locker with $650 worth of Nike apparel. This included a backpack, spikes, trainers, uniform, arm sleeves, and warm-ups. Senior Ares Jason Bochert
said, “The gear and the experience were amazing. There was a lot of stuff.” The team followed that by going to the athletes lounge and exploring the multi-billion dollar facility.

Saturday, the 2nd, was the day of the biggest race in Green Hope men’s cross country history. The gun shot at 10:05 Pacific time on a cold, rainy day and the boys were off. Epps said, “Wednesday was sunny, and slowly as the race got closer it kept getting colder and colder. Then on race day it was raining and muddy.” The start of the race was hectic as Epps said, “When the gun shot, I ran and almost broke my leg. Luckily, I was able to avoid it and keep running.” None of the boys got injured at the start, however senior Ryan Kemper strained his hamstring 300 meters in. Kemper was still able to push through and finish the race, just not as fast as he hoped too. The team as a whole did not perform up to the expectations they have had all season. The team finished 22nd, posting the worst score they have had all season.

All members of the cross country team are now focused on indoor track season and many are excited. Epps said, “Absolutely I am excited. Also, I am especially ready to beat Sean Petersen’s 1K time.” The team is hoping to follow-up a second place finish at states the year before, losing to Panther Creek.

The cross country team should not let that race define their season as they broke so many records and paved a new legacy of greatness at Green Hope. Peyton Barish broke the 5K record, the team got the Southeast’s first at-large bid for nationals, this was the first Green Hope  men’s team to go to nationals, they won the state title, and built relationships that will last a lifetime. Reed Blackman is the only returner from this top 7 to return next year, but he will surely look to carry on the legacy left by this years graduating class.

About the Writers
Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”

Kohl Abrams, Senior Staff Writer

Kohl Abrams is a senior, who is on his second year at the Falcon. He is looking forward to making a great sports section for the Falcon, and showing the whole school his work. Kohl is on the Varsity baseball team for Green Hope, and he plays travel baseball outside of school. He also works at the YMCA. He says his favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, because he can enjoy football, good food, and family time. His favorite place is the beach, and he enjoys going in the water. That being said, he doesn’t like the sand. Kohl’s favorite animal is a monkey, because they make cool sounds and they get to climb around all day. If he could only have one pet, he would have to have a monkey. He took this class again because he really enjoyed last year, and he values the relationships made in this class.