The Case Against Homework

How much homework do you have today?

How much homework do you have today?

By Loty from United States (College Math Papers Uploaded by JohnnyMrNinja) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

How much homework do you have today?

Cayley Ryan, Staff Writer

The complaints of students about their workload, and homework specifically, are not something to be dismissed or trivialized; they are an act of self-preservation.

Nationwide, a study of 1000 teachers revealed that high schoolers are assigned, on average, 3.5 hours of homework per night. This adds up to 17.5 hours a week, nearly the same amount of work required of a part-time job. This is an unconscionable demand of students who are already overworked, overtired, and unhealthily stressed.  

The argument can be made that if there was minimal homework, students would simply goof off and spend their time after school unproductively. However, there is nothing inherently wrong with students slacking off after school. Most students are not yet adults. They’ve grown up with standardized tests from elementary school onward, with grade inflation and an ever-higher benchmark of achievement.  It wouldn’t be wrong to allow them some time to relax.Over 90% of high school students are chronically sleep-deprived, which increases mental illnesses, substance abuse, learning and attention difficulties, and obesity. This is neither healthy nor fair.

School is intended to prepare students for the real world. For most people, after their shift or workday ends, they don’t have more hours of work ahead of them. It does not make sense that students, however, do.

One of the worst perpetrators is AP classes, acclaimed for having the rigor and curriculum of equivalent college classes. An average college class meets for three hours a week over 15 weeks, coming to a grand total of 45 credit hours (give or take). AP classes under our block schedule meet for 1.5 hours a day over 18 weeks, to a total of 135 hours. Seeing this imbalance, it is hard to see how homework could be necessary when students have such an excess of class time.  Of course, students should work outside of school to fully understand the course material if needed, but grueling amounts of homework and assignments add nothing but further exhaustion and despair to our lives. If you think this language is hyperbolic, ask a few juniors or seniors at Green Hope how stressed they are, how tired and how frustrated.

Green Hope holds itself as a model of academic excellence, a place where a GPA of at least 5.0 is required to be anywhere close to the top of the class (you read that correctly). Not only that, but in this age of 10% elite university acceptance rates, being in honor societies and clubs and the arts and athletics has become an expectation, not an extracurricular. At Green Hope, we have a gold standard for performance in academics, athletics, and the arts. Green Hope must lessen the amount of homework to also be the best at taking care of its students.

• The Case Against Homework

Fake News Feed

• OPINION

The Carpool Conundrum

• The Case Against Homework

Real or Fake Trees

• The Case Against Homework

Don’t Stay Neutral About Net Neutrality

• The Case Against Homework

Eminem’s “Revival”

The Case Against Homework