Battle of the Breakfast Foods: Pancakes vs. Waffles?

Pancakes+vs.+Waffles%3A+Which+would+you+choose%3F+
Pancakes vs. Waffles: Which would you choose?

By frank wouters from antwerpen, belgium (Flickr) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Lily Redick, Staff Writer

Picture this: someone goes downstairs to go make some breakfast after a nice long sleep. They open up the pantry and freezer and stop. The biggest decision of their life is about to be made… pancakes or waffles?

The first thing that must be known is that pancake and waffle batter are not the same thing. Waffle batter has more sugar and fat in it to give it the waffle the crispy exterior. According to Dictionary.com, a waffle is “a batter cake with a pattern of deep indentations on each side, formed by the grid-like design on each of the two hinged parts of the waffle iron in which the cake is baked.” A waffle is much different than a pancake. Waffles are crunchier than a pancake. They are crispy on the outside, while remaining spongy on the inside. Waffles can be identified as fried, except they aren’t fried in hot oil, instead it’s enclosed in a metal iron covered in oil to fry it. Some people like the indents on the waffle because they hold the syrup, keeping it from running off the sides. One negative is that butter is harder to spread on waffles.

According to Wikipedia, a pancake (or hot cake, griddle cake, or flapjack) is a flat cake, often thin and round, prepared from a starch-based batter that may contain eggs, milk and butter and cooked on a hot surface such as a griddle or frying pan, often frying with oil or butter.” Pancakes are floppy and spongy. They can also be stacked allowing extra enjoyment. Pancakes also have many toppings and add ins that waffles don’t necessarily take well. Some people like the fact that the pancake absorbs the syrup or it rolls off onto the plate, others don’t. Green Hope sophomore Hannah Petersen says, “I prefer pancakes. I like butter on my pancakes and waffles and it is much easier to put butter on a pancake than a waffle.” Waffles are also higher maintenance than pancakes because you have to clean the iron.

Overall, it seems that waffles and pancakes are tied in being the top breakfast food. It really depends on the mood one is in: crunchy or floppy, add-ins or no add-ins…and the amount of cleaning one is willing to do afterwards.

• Battle of the Breakfast Foods: Pancakes vs. Waffles?

Fake News Feed

• OPINION

The Carpool Conundrum

Real or Fake Trees

Don’t Stay Neutral About Net Neutrality

Eminem’s “Revival”