Holiday Traffic Survival Guide

Passengers+are+frustrated+at+the+prospect+of+being+stuck+in+traffic.+
Passengers are frustrated at the prospect of being stuck in traffic.

Juila Agius

Juila Agius

Erin McIndoe, Staff Writer

The holiday season is in full swing and people are leaving town more than ever. Many people drive to go see their families during their break from school and the only thing that can ruin that trip is traffic.

We all know that feeling when we feel we are making good time and may actually get to the destination early, and then all of a sudden you come to a dead stop.  That single dead stop is the biggest bummer of all time. Traffic can get so bad that you can turn off your car, get out, maybe even have time to go for a run. Sophomore Grace Fu says, “I am quite used to getting stuck in traffic because we get stuck in traffic jams in China a lot.  When we get stuck my family and I tell jokes just to pass the time.”  Getting stuck in traffic is inevitable, so here are some ways to keep yourself entertained.

• Put on some music that everyone in the car wants to sing along to because you know the saying, “time flies when you’re having fun”, and nothing is more fun than jamming out to some music.  
  • Take a nap.  As long as you are not the one behind the wheel, take a quick snooze and relax while you are waiting for the cars to keep moving.
  • Play the license plate game.  Look around and see who can find the most license plates from different states. This is a fun competition to play with your family and friends.
  • Another fun game to enjoy is the “eye spy” game.  It seems very childish to play, but even childish games can be entertaining when you are stuck in a car for who knows how long without anything else to do.
  • Lastly is to find new addicting games to play on your phone.  Go on to the app store and find the new Angry Birds or Candy crush to keep you busy for the time being.

This holiday season when you get stuck in the awfulness that is known as bumper to bumper traffic, please use these helpful tips instead of spending your time complaining about how you are stuck.  I promise yelling, pounding on your steering wheel, and continuous complaining won’t make the cars move any faster, so sit back relax and enjoy the “ride”.  

Erin McIndoe, Managing Editor
This year in the Falcon News Feed Erin McIndoe, the senior class president here at Green Hope High School, is looking forward to getting involved in the school and to continue to write interesting articles. She has one older sister, plays volleyball, and her favorite holiday is Christmas because of the happy feeling. After high...