A Leap of Faith

The student rush to parking lot. This is as real as it gets.

Sophie Hall

Sophie Hall

Sophie Hall, Staff Writer

It’s the last few minutes of fourth period and I wait with anticipation for the bell to ring. With fifty more seconds left, I pack my bag. Twenty more seconds left, I put my backpack on. Ten more seconds left, I sneakily scoot to the edge of my seat.

BEEEEEP!

The race begins. I shoot up from my seat and am second to the classroom door. I dash past my classmate as he rips open the door. I turn, staying near the wall, to cut off time. I focus on my stride while sprinting down the Green Hope hallway. I take short fast steps, using my arms, and pulling my knees up. I’m at the stairs. I take them three at a time using the railing to vault over the corners. I knock someone down, but there is no time to stop. I burst out the doors and the obstacle course begins.

I fly across the circle, elbows up, through the mass of seniors flying toward their cars.

I am Usain Bolt running for the gold.

I weave through cars and roll across the pavement. I’m almost there.

I take a deep breath, focus on my destination, and take off with a burst of unexpected speed.  A car honks, someone shouts, but I am almost there. I can’t stop now. A burst of light comes out of nowhere shining in my eyes, blinding me. A car is racing towards me, less than ten feet away. I’m running too fast, no time to turn.

This is the end of the race.

All of my training and effort will amount to nothing. No. I take a leap of faith. I soar through the air, life flashing before my eyes. My foot lands on the hood of the car propelling me back into the air. I land on the ball of my feet and roll into a somersault. As soon as I am upright I continue my sprint not missing a step.

I have made it. I can feel it. I can taste it.  

This is the highest point of my life, it will only go downhill from here. Never can I beat the sprint I have made through the frenzied high schoolers, the disorienting maze of cars we like to call the Green Hope parking lot. I turn and look at my beautiful car, a sleek cherry red Tesla Roadster with ludicrous launch mode capable of reaching 60 miles per hour in 1.9 seconds.

I skid to a stop inches before spot number 219 and reality starts to come back into focus. There is no Tesla Roadster, no spot 219. There is no license, no driving off campus.  

A long loud honk from a blank minivan pierces my ears and interrupts my thoughts. I turn and spot my mom’s smiling face.

She waves at me shouting, “I’m over here peanut!” 

About the Contributor
Sophie Hall, Staff Writer

The youngest of three sisters, Sophie Hall is a Junior this year at Green Hope.  She plays soccer, excels at drawing and her favorite movie is Pixar’s UP.  She has been a part of The Falcon for all three years of high school.  Money and smarts notwithstanding, she would go to MIT for college, and then move to New Zealand.  The most interesting thing for Sophie this summer was getting a new kitten. The class that she is most excited for this year is AP Psychology, which fits very well with her superpower of choice, telekinesis.  She views herself as night person because of how difficult it is to get out of bed in the morning.