Western Cary Track Club featuring members of GHXC- Portland Bound

Members of the Green Hope cross country team running as the Western Cary Track Club earned a spot at nationals in Portland, Oregon.

Jason Bochert

Jason Bochert

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

Saturday afternoon, members of the Green Hope Cross Country team raced in the Nike Southeast Regional. This event was held at WakeMed Soccer Park, the Green Hope home course, and gave the team an advantage over teams who have never raced there. The Falcons, running as the Western Cary Track Club, had to finish in the top 2 to get an automatic bid to Nike Nationals in Portland, Oregon.

The boys did not run up to their standards that had been set this season, with the first finisher for the Falcons running a 15:40. This runner was Peyton Barish, who said, “We could have run much better at NXR and think there is more to come. Let’s build.” Green Hope was the first team to get their top 5 across the finish line, but it was not enough to give them the automatic bid to Oregon. They finished 3rd, and they would have to wait until later that night to see who the at-large bids would be.

Late Saturday night, the at-large bids came out, and Western Cary Track Club was one of the 4 teams. This is the first boys team from North Carolina to make it to Nationals since 2008, and some are starting to call them the best team NC has ever had.The team went crazy as they get to continue their season and compete with the nation’s best.

The team heads to Oregon early Wednesday morning and the race is being held on Saturday. They are looking to prove critics wrong as they want to take out some of the nation’s best. The team is ready to go according to the captain Peyton Barish. Cheer on the team (and Go Falcons!)

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”