Netflix Shoots Straight With The Punisher

The Punisher hopes to extend the success of the Marvel Universe.

Marvel

Marvel

Alex Price, Staff Writer

On Friday, November 17, the latest Netflix original released. This time it was The Punisher. Those who’ve seen Daredevil Season 2 know who Frank Castle is, and they know why to watch this series. For those who haven’t, Frank Castle, a.k.a. The Punisher, is a vigilante based in New York City who fought in the war in Afghanistan. After he returned, his family was murdered in a gang shooting, leaving him with nothing but his gun and his need for vengeance. The show gives an in-depth look into his mind and his PTSD, as he struggles with the acts he was forced to commit overseas as well as the loss of his wife and kids.

The show starts six months after Frank Castle thinks he has avenged his family. He soon realizes that even though you can take the soldier out of the fight, you can’t take the fight out of the soldier. He shaves his hipster beard when he realizes that the deaths of his family had nothing to do with gangs or drugs,but were in fact a conspiracy against him due to what he knows about an illegal military operation he was a part of in Kandahar. With the help of computer hacker Micro, otherwise known as David Leiberman, Frank Castle fights the war that has consumed his life for so long with no intentions of using the law. Other supporting characters include Special Agent Dinah Madani, whose partner died in Afghanistan, Karen Page, one of the only people that has known Frank Castle has been alive, and Billy Russo, Frank Castle’s best friend.

This show is excellent.  It took the character who was introduced in Daredevil and finished telling his story. Frank Castle was a well-defined character. Viewers saw him struggle with his past while Jon Bernthal portrayed that struggle beautifully. The only problem with his character was that even though he did bad things, the viewer could see that he was a good person, and the quality of his character would be left up to the interpretation of the viewer. The other characters also had excellent character arcs as well as connections to each other, most of these unknown until the true nature of the plot was realized. The show dealt with gun control without much subtlety while doing a good job of not becoming a political statement. The biggest issue with the show is that while it is mostly a self-contained story, those who haven’t seen Daredevil before this will be confused. Even those who have watched Daredevil could have easily forgotten certain aspects to the plot that played a big role in the start of the season. Other than that, The Punisher is a great show, telling the story of a broken man who is doing the only thing he’s ever known, fighting a war. The end of the season does set up a potential second season, but if the show never airs another episode, fans should be content knowing that Frank’s war is over.