Views from the Third

Students admire the view from the third floor

Zara Khan

Zara Khan

Zara Khan, Staff Writer

After four years at Green Hope High, the school walls that seemed so crisp and white as a freshman finally faded to a depressing gray tone. One day, I suddenly felt as if nothing felt new anymore. My life had become a monotonous black hole of the same view every single day. The hallway walls were plastered with staples of people desperately seeking club members, the paint was rusting, and there was no place that you looked that didn’t scream boring. My mind felt trapped. I wanted a place to look where there was no one begging me to scan a QR code. I wanted to feel peace, like the world was beautiful, but all that surrounded me was dry and drab walls. Was solace a social construct at Green Hope?

It took me a while to realize the first and second floor made me feel more trapped than anything in the whole entire world. I rushed up to the third floor for some clear air. There were windows here, three sets of them placed strategically in the middle and ends of the hallways. I rushed to see them all. Suddenly the hollow halls, wearisome walls, and dull days felt like nothing. It didn’t matter that once I graduated  I had to leave, move away, figure out what I wanted to do in life, everything faded away. Everything was temporary and I felt infinite.

A student stares in awe at the landscape of Green Hope High School

These windows represented the unknown. In reality, these windows showed me that beyond the campus of Green Hope, the bus parking lot, and the surrounding trees there was a world that I had not reached. A view that showed me a partial part of the vast area of land that North Carolina has to offer also whispered that I had a chance to figure out where I was, where I could go, and who I could be. The windows did not show me everything that the whole world had to offer, I don’t think you can find a view that nice. They did, however, show me that these walls that I felt so enclosed in for the past four years were preparing me to go out past the campus, bus parking lot, and leave the surrounding trees. I dedicate this piece of writing to the three sets of windows on the third floor. Thank you for showing me life is so vast. For I no longer feel trapped.

Two students are encapsulated by the imagery of the third-floor windows

• Views from the Third

ARE YOU READY TO DELVE INTO THE DUNGEON?

• Views from the Third

Top Google Searches of 2017

• Views from the Third

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Ms. Bradshaw

• Views from the Third

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Justin Ho

• Views from the Third

Real or Fake Trees

Views from the Third