Earthquake Kills Hundreds

This is a map showing the site of the massive earthquake that occurred near the Iran-Iraq border

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

On Sunday, a 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit near the border of Iran and Iraq. Over three hundred people were killed and more than six thousand were injured. The impact of this earthquake was noticed all the way from the Mediterranean coast, and over one hundred aftershocks were reported. This earthquake has been analyzed and measured by the U.S. Geological Survey, who reported that the quake “struck around 19 miles from the Iraqi city of Halabja, at a depth of 14 miles.”

The country of Iran suffered most of the damage, especially the western area in the Kermanshah province. Kermanshah is mostly a rural farming society. In this area, 341 people were killed and about 5,950 were injured. In Kermanshah, the city of Sarpol-e-Zahab was hit particularly hard. This city is located in the Zagros Mountains, which separates the countries of Iran and Iraq. In Sarpol-e-Zahab, power and water are both currently not working and phone lines are damaged. Residents had to flee their homes in order to survive, and many of them lost everything inside.

In Iraq, the impact was much less due to the “direction of the fault line in this particular quake.” However, the northern part of the country was impacted the most: 7 people were killed and about 535 were injured. The Darbandikhan dam was also damaged.

Many people in both countries ran from their homes in order to escape the collapsing buildings, but some never made it out. Rescue teams have been sent out, but it is difficult to find people due to a large amount of landslides that have occurred. Reports estimate that in Iran alone, over 70,000 people are in need of emergency shelter.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.