Earthquake Kills Hundreds

This is a map showing the site of the massive earthquake that occurred near the Iran-Iraq border

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

On Sunday, a 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit near the border of Iran and Iraq. Over three hundred people were killed and more than six thousand were injured. The impact of this earthquake was noticed all the way from the Mediterranean coast, and over one hundred aftershocks were reported. This earthquake has been analyzed and measured by the U.S. Geological Survey, who reported that the quake “struck around 19 miles from the Iraqi city of Halabja, at a depth of 14 miles.”

The country of Iran suffered most of the damage, especially the western area in the Kermanshah province. Kermanshah is mostly a rural farming society. In this area, 341 people were killed and about 5,950 were injured. In Kermanshah, the city of Sarpol-e-Zahab was hit particularly hard. This city is located in the Zagros Mountains, which separates the countries of Iran and Iraq. In Sarpol-e-Zahab, power and water are both currently not working and phone lines are damaged. Residents had to flee their homes in order to survive, and many of them lost everything inside.

In Iraq, the impact was much less due to the “direction of the fault line in this particular quake.” However, the northern part of the country was impacted the most: 7 people were killed and about 535 were injured. The Darbandikhan dam was also damaged.

Many people in both countries ran from their homes in order to escape the collapsing buildings, but some never made it out. Rescue teams have been sent out, but it is difficult to find people due to a large amount of landslides that have occurred. Reports estimate that in Iran alone, over 70,000 people are in need of emergency shelter.

• Earthquake Kills Hundreds

Top Google Searches of 2017

• Earthquake Kills Hundreds

Net Neutrality: What is it and How Does it Affect You?

• Earthquake Kills Hundreds

GHHS Running Trail Construction

• Earthquake Kills Hundreds

One Nation Under Doug

• Earthquake Kills Hundreds

Saudi Arabia Lifts Ban on Movie Theaters

Earthquake Kills Hundreds