NYC Marathon Women’s Winner

Bianca Serafano, Staff Writer

The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest annual marathon in the world that takes place in New York City. It runs through Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx. The “TCS” in the name of the marathon stands for Tata Consultancy Services, and they are the premiere partner and title sponsor of the marathon. It began in 1970 and has continued to be a tradition that happens each year. On November 5, 2017, the marathon had 50,766 finishers and the average finish time was 4 hours 39 minutes and 7 seconds. The women’s first place winner, Shalane Flanagan, finished with a time of 2 hours 26 minutes and 53 seconds. The 36-year-old from Massachusetts is the first American woman to win the NYC Marathon since 1977; the last American woman to win the marathon was Miki Gorman.

Mary Keitany, a Kenyan woman who won the marathon three straight years in a row, was surpassed by Flanagan by about a minute. In 2010, Flanagan finished in 2nd place in her first marathon in NYC and hadn’t run the race since. A fracture in her back caused Flanagan to be unable to participate in the Boston Marathon and she stated that she trained very hard for this race. After crossing the finish line, Flanagan stated: “I’ve dreamed of a moment like this since I was a little girl”.

There have been numerous articles that have been written about Flanagan’s achievements. ESPN wrote an article stating that “Shalane Flanagan’s marathon win is the win women need”. CNN, CBS, and the NY Times also wrote articles covering her achievements. Many have been calling this victory a crucial moment in history that may not happen for years to come.

NYC Marathon Women’s Winner