RIP Class Rank

WCPSS removed the valedictorian and salutatorian distinctions starting 2019.

Falcon News Feed Staff

Erin McIndoe, Staff Writer

Those who feel like their intelligence is currently based off a number should find themselves within a group of many other people who support the incoming Latin honors system.  Starting with the class of 2019, there will no longer be a valedictorian and salutatorian named at graduation.  Wake County Schools will be switching to a Latin honor system which will award students for getting above a certain GPA requirement, with three honors levels: Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude.  Students with a GPA of 4.25 will be awarded with the title of Summa Cum Laude, 4 to 4.249 will receive Magna Cum Laude and 3.75 to 3.99 will be Cum Laude.  The WCPSS school board believes this system is the proper way to recognize students for working hard all throughout high school.

The Latin honor system is a fair way to reward students who have worked their absolute hardest in their classes, but have also taken classes they were interested in, not just every AP course they could take to boost their GPA.  The idea of class rank is now in the past.  Teenagers are currently in a pointless race to be first or second in their class even though the distance separating them is .002 points.  This brings unnecessary stress to students that can be avoided with the latin honor system. Junior Jasmine Kaur reflected, “class rank creates an overly competitive environment while the Latin Honor system awards more students for their academic achievements. No student should have the idea of a number running and controlling their lives.  Grades are what you earn with the hard work you put in to the class, but your pride should not be dependent on whether you are first, second, or 259th at graduation.”

At a school with the intense competition and rigor of Green Hope, a student’s class rank might barely be in the top 200 and she would still fall within the cum laude honors GPA range.  Just because a student is not in the top ten percent does not mean their accomplishments are less deserving of recognition.  Every student wants to be the best they can be and the students who work hard need to receive credit as well.  With the Latin honors system, students could potentially increase the classes they want to take and decrease the ones they “have to take in order to maintain a healthy class rank.” This will make for a much more successful, happy, and hopefully mindful student body.

• RIP Class Rank

History is Written by the… Losers?

• RIP Class Rank

Hijabi Doll Makes Barbie History

• RIP Class Rank

Does the Christmas Season Start Too Soon?

• RIP Class Rank

America Needs To Take Action

• RIP Class Rank

Are Late Night Talk Shows Too Political?

RIP Class Rank