Biltmore Estate Owner Dies

The Biltmore Estate represents over a century of one of America's

The Biltmore Estate represents over a century of one of America's "royal" families.

biltmore.com

biltmore.com

Coral Aman, Staff Writer

The Biltmore Estate is one of the world’s most desired tourist locations. This private estate is located in Asheville, North Carolina. The Biltmore is built on eight thousand acres of land. This estate features 250 rooms, including thirty-four bedrooms and forty-three bathrooms. Additionally, there is a basement that has a gym, a pool, and multiple kitchens. There are sixty-five fireplaces throughout the house and areas for servants in the basement. Along with the Biltmore’s historic beauty and tranquil gardens, there is also a hotel and inn on the property for visitors to stay at. More than 1.4 million people visit the estate each year.

Searching for a location for a perfect home, George Washington Vanderbilt visited Asheville in 1888. A year later, the construction process for the Biltmore began. The home took five years to build. The Biltmore Estate officially opened to the public in 1930 by Cornelia and John Cecil. Cornelia was George Vanderbilt’s daughter. The ownership for the Biltmore has been passed down through the Cecil family. The current owner of the largest home in America was William Amherst Vanderbilt Cecil.

On Tuesday, Cecil passed away in his home in North Carolina. He was eighty-nine years old and had been managing the estate for over fifty years. Cecil worked in the finance field before he decided to return to the Biltmore to keep its rich history alive.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons, Coral enjoys spending time at the beach and even says if she had to live anywhere outside of the United States it would probably be a tropical island somewhere. Christmas is one of the best times of the year according to Coral; decorating and putting up the tree is her favorite family tradition. Many seniors get anxious to leave Green Hope and Cary, and Coral is no exception. Although she’s a little scared to leave everything she’s ever known, this senior also can’t wait to meet new people and have new experiences; she’s just hoping she doesn’t get senioritis as graduation nears! In the future, Coral hopes to see herself working as an occupational therapist and helping others with basics everyday things, or participating in scientific research, which makes perfect sense seeing as science and math are her two favorite subjects in school.