Crusaders No Match for Fighting Falcons

Volleyball cruises to a regional championship

Green Hope Athletics

Green Hope Athletics

Brandon Morton, Sports Writer

Tuesday night, the Green Hope volleyball team beat Cardinal Gibbons in the NCHSAA 4A Eastern Regional Final. The victory ensured a second straight state championship appearance for the Falcons. The team has had a repeat on their minds all season, and now they have a chance to meet that goal they set in August.

The team dominated Cardinal Gibbons winning in straight sets. Green Hope has only lost one set so far in the playoffs, making them look like a serious threat going into the championship on Saturday. The team has stepped up their level of play to another level, and are on a completely different planet than the other teams in the state.  Even though the team only starts two seniors, they have built a mature, confident team led by last year’s state MVP Sydney Dowler.  Erin McIndoe did a great job serving the ball, and energized the team when she stepped on the court.  Mary Wasilak, Kayla Dowler, Amy Zhang, and Alexis Engelbrecht are the power hitters on the squad that punish teams that leave any area of the court open.  The unexpected contributor to the team has been sophomore libero Taylor Nomanson.  She has stepped up as the central passer for this team, playing well even in the high pressure games against Panther Creek and in the playoffs. The keys to the game according to Wasilak, “Staying strong on defense, and playing scrappy helped us, then also being mentally tough and not getting angry when they picked up our good swings.”  Going into states she believes that “we have to play our game and we can come out with a win.”

The State Championship is Saturday at 7:30 in Reynolds Coliseum on the N.C. State campus. Green Hope will be playing Huskies of Hough High School, who knocked off the Raiders of Reagan High School in 5 sets during the western regional final.

• Crusaders No Match for Fighting Falcons

Winter Sports

Green Hope Wrestling Grabs Two Conference Wins

Men's Basketball

Green Hope Jumps over Jaguars 68-66 in OT

SPORTS

Swimming Starts Postseason Run

FEATURES

Staffsketball – Behind The Scenes

SPORTS

2017: A Banner Year for Falcon Sports

Crusaders No Match for Fighting Falcons