Green Hope’s “Extra Credit” Policy Is Extra

Dalal Azzam, Editor-In-Chief

Through various policies, rules, and regulations, Wake County can arguably be  seen as one of the strictest school counties in the state. As the county’s policies regarding snow-days and school hours are concrete, there is one policy that the county is unclear about- the extra credit policy.

Extra credit gives students the opportunity to complete optional assignments in return for a chance to compensate for some missed points on regular assignments. While extra credit is mostly associated with American schools, there are schools within the country that do not practice this grade-saving concept.

Although the policy was allowed in Wake County’s 2014-2015 High School Plan, stating “The school-based grading plan established by the principal must include, but is not limited to, components to communicate expectations and processes for homework, missed work, prevention and intervention, and extra credit,” this policy was left out of the 2015-2016 Plan. However, once finding out that the policy may vary from school to school, I took to finding out Panther Creek’s Extra Credit Policy. After reading their Grading Policy, I came across this… ”Extra Credit Extra credit opportunities, if assigned, are to be used to enhance grades and must be connected to learning outcomes. PLTs will determine extra-credit opportunities to be used. No teacher within the PLT shall vary from the agreed upon acceptable “opportunities.” Under no circumstances shall teachers use behaviors (i.e. supplying tissues, attending a school function, etc.) as extra-credit opportunities.” So Panther Creek students are allowed to earn extra credit on assignments depending on what each individual department decides. This differs from the Green Hope Policy.

Because Green Hope is a competitive school, the extra credit can come in handy. While some agree that the policy would help boost student grades, others argue that the lack of extra credit helps motivate students to initially do well when first completing the assignment. When senior Sreya Santanam was asked about her opinion regarding the extra credit policy difference between the schools, she responded, “I don’t think it fair. It shouldn’t be allowed for one school to have it and the other not to. This means that the students that are allowed to have it have an advantage to raise grades.”

There is no doubt that both sides of the argument have valid points. However, the inconsistency of the policy within the same county is worth discussion. If students at one school are allowed to receive extra credit, then it should be allowed for students in other schools within the county as well.